- Title: USA: Neighbors describe chaos in the moments after the Isla Vista shooting
- Date: 25th May 2014
- Summary: ISLA VISTA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (MAY 25, 2014) (REUTERS) WIDE EXTERIOR OF RODGER'S APARTMENT VARIOUS OF SIGN READING "WE ARE GAUCHOS, WE ARE STRONG, WE WILL REMEMBER" (SOUNDBITE) (English) DOMINIC MORETTO, NEIGHBOR OF RODGER, SAYING: "Well as things went down, just sort of as the shootings began, coming with more excessive frequency we were told by officers to kind of get inside, so we grabbed about 7 or 8 people that were out here and kind of hunkered down, and once we kind of got the all clear we started trying to figure out what was going on exactly." VARIOUS OF MAKESHIFT MEMORIAL OUTSIDE STORE WHERE A WOMAN WAS SHOT
- Embargoed: 9th June 2014 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime,General,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA1MOAYZZPKN1NY2O1WVRXERXNJ
- Story Text: Neighbors of Elliot Rodger, the young man who police suspect committed Friday's shooting rampage, described on Sunday (May 25) how the shooting took place, with gunshots and police commotion on the streets.
Rodger, 22, is the primary suspect in the attack that killed seven people, including himself.
Three of the victims were stabbed to death in his apartment in Isla Vista, California before the shooter got in a car and started firing randomly.
Andy Jang, who lived in the same apartment complex as Rodger, said he was at home playing videogames when he first heard the shots.
"When the thing happened I was playing video games inside and I was playing like a shooting game and I thought the gunshots were from the videogame. And when I went outside there were a lot of cop cars, police just coming like I counted at least 15 or 20 of them, they were a lot of cops coming and that's when I realized that someone actually got shot," Jang said.
He admitted however that he only met Rodger once or twice, but never really spoke to him. He added though that his friend Chris sometimes spoke to Rodger, and remembered that the shooter had previously expressed his negative feelings toward women.
"My friend Chris had a conversation with Elliot and apparently when he had a conversation regarding how girls reject him or whatnot he would always take Chris's side and agree that girls are not worth his time or something along the lines of that and just had a really negative attitude towards girls," Yang said.
Police say Rodger, who posted a threatening video railing against women online shortly before the rampage began, stalked Isla Vista in his car and on foot, firing on bystanders in a killing spree that ended when he killed himself after a shootout with sheriff's deputies.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None