- Title: JAPAN: OLYMPICS - Japan names Tokyo as candidate to host 2016 Games
- Date: 31st August 2006
- Summary: COMPUTER GRAPHICS OF PLANNED OLYMPIC FACILITIES SHOWN AT THE MEETING
- Embargoed: 15th September 2006 13:00
- Location: Japan
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA874I4G9PBZ7I87W8389YPPAK
- Story Text: The Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) on Wednesday (August 30) named the country's capital Tokyo as its candidate to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.
The International Olympic Committee will accept bids from 2008 with a final decision on who will host the 2016 Games to be made in 2009.
"An Olympic bid is a form of diplomacy. We ask the national government to be clear and consistent in supporting our bid in international competition," Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara said after the nation's capital was declared winner.
The charismatic governor has been spearheading the campaign to bring the 2016 Games to Tokyo.
So far, India, Japan, Spain, the United States and Brazil have expressed interest. Italy is also considering a bid.
Apart from the 1964 Summer Games, Japan has also hosted the Winter Olympics twice, in Sapporo in 1972 and Nagano in 1998.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.