- Title: ITALY: Quieter day in Olympic village so skiers head for the slopes.
- Date: 12th February 2006
- Summary: SESTRIERE, ITALY (FEBRUARY 13, 2006) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VILLAGE VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS DECORATED WITH OLYMPIC EMBLEMS PEOPLE BOARDING BUSES TO GO TO WATCH OLYMPIC EVENTS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN VILLAGE SQUARE POLICE IN SQUARE PEOPLE WALKING IN STREET PEOPLE WITH SKIS MAN READING NEWSPAPER NEWSPAPER HEADLINE AND FRONT PAGE WITH PHOTOGRAPH OF ITALIAN LUGE GOLD MEDAL WINNER ARMIN ZOEGGELER VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN CAFETERIA SKIERS BOARDING BUS VARIOUS OF SKIERS WIDE OF VILLAGE SQUARE
- Embargoed: 27th February 2006 12:00
- Location: Italy
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Sports,Travel / Tourism
- Reuters ID: LVAB9ZTC1W8RIH18LDAV00PW4P9M
- Story Text: Four Olympic winter games finals are scheduled for Monday (February 13), making it a quieter day after the frantic pace of the opening weekend.
The speed and figure skating events will take place in downtown Turin, while the women's 15 kilometre individual biathlon and the snowboarding will be held in the mountain venues around the Italian Alps village of Sestriere.
On the third day of the 20th Winter Olympic Games, residents and visitors to Sestriere gathered in the main square to sip coffee and read the morning newspapers.
Italians' spirits were high after Armin Zoeggeler won the country's first gold medal on home soil with victory in the luge on Sunday.
Newspapers carried front page pictures of Zoeggeler and headlines calling him a national hero.
Some people took advantage of the relative Olympic lull to take to the slopes themselves. Crowds carrying ski equipment boarded buses and headed to the slopes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None