- Title: Italy: Roumanian Hunger strikers
- Date: 26th September 1974
- Summary: 1 1. Demonstrators outside Roumanian Embassy and Consulate in Rome. 2. Placard saying 'Socialism yes. Stalinism No.' 3. Police observing demonstrators 4. Pan from monument to Unknown Square in Piazza Venezia to car containg hunger-strikers surrounded by onllookers and signing petition. 5. Phtos of children on Roumanian's car 6. CU Roumanian hunger striker sitting on step. Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th October 1974 13:00
- Location: ROME Roumanian Embassy/Piazza Venezia
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA18LR7M38Q3XJKP7HNVHI53BLD
- Story Text: A small group of Demonstrators from Italy's small but vocal Radical Party today (Thursday) paraded outside the Roumanian Embassy in Rome in support of a Roumanian family at present on hunger strike in Romels Piazza Venezia.
The Roumanians - brothers Sergiu and Corneliu Constantinescu aged 32 and 29 and their wives, Maria 28, and Sandica 25 are protesting against the Roumanian Government's refusal to allow their five young children to join them in Italy. They are now in the third week of their hunger strike.
Already appeals have been made to the Pope, Dr Waldheim and the Italian Government to intervene on their behalf. This week the Roumanian Ambassador in Rome was reported to have flown to Bucharest for consultations but so far no statement has been forthcoming from the Embassy other than to say that the Roumanians were free to return home without fear of reprisals.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None