- Title: FRANCE: STRIKES CONTINUE IN PROTEST AGAINST WELFARE SYSTEM REFORMS
- Date: 7th December 1995
- Summary: LILLE, LYON AND PARIS, FRANCE (DECEMBER 7, 1995) (REUTERS TELEVISION (RTV) - ACCESS ALL) LILLE (RTV) 1. SV WORKERS MARCHING 0.38 LYON (RTV) 2. SV FIREMEN DEMONSTRATING 1.02 PARIS 3. SV WORKERS MARCHING - MAN HOLDING FLARE 1.34 4. SV FURTHER VIEWS OF MARCHERS 1.58 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 22nd December 1995 12:00
- Location: LILLE, LYON, AND PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA8C74AOO5YX0TOB4V3JEZZ1B2L
- Story Text: The strikes that have crippled much of France for the last two weeks escalated on Thursday (December 7).
More rallies were held in the provinces as protests against Prime Minister Alain Juppe's reform plans for the welfare system spread.
In Lille, around 20,000 public sector workers marched through the streets and were joined by hundreds of students.
In Lyon, another 20,000 people staged a rally and tried to enter the offices of the Ministry of Public Services. Among those demonstrating were the city's firemen.
The almost daily march in Paris was less well attended - possibly because of the transport difficulties for those commuters who live outside the city centre.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None