- Title: SPAIN: FIRST SPANISH BULLFIGHTER TO GO INTO RING WEARING SPONSOR'S ADVERTISING.
- Date: 6th August 1987
- Summary: 1. GV Bul ring. 0.04 2. SV Luis Reina fighting bull, sponsor's name embroidered on suit PAN UP TO crowd clapping. 0.56 3. SV Reina sticking bull with sword and other matadors distracting bull. 1.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA26ROGER3AYCCK1GGO1M4DDL1O
- Location: PLASENCIA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:01:12
- Topics: General
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: PLASENCIA, SPAIN
The centuries-old sport of bullfighting was brought into the 80s on August 4 when a Spanish torero broke with long-held tradition at Plasencia and entered the ring with an advertising sponsor's name embroidered into his sequinned suit.Twenty-six-year-old Luis Reina had 'Akai', the name of a Japanese electronics company, sewn into the legs and arms of his suit.The minor revolution brought cheers and whistles from the crowd.His manager, Diego Bardan, said Reina was paid handsomely by his sponsor, but would not say how much.According to the manager, other bullfighters are negotiating with advertising agencies to do the same.Bullfighting is Spain's second most popular sport (after soccer) and attracts millions of followers.So far, toreros have shunned advertising in the belief that was not part of their act.Bull rings have avoided commercials so as not to distract attention from the fight.For his part, Reina said his decision was in line with changing times.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - MIKE GORE</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:21st August 1987 13:00