WEST BANK/GAZA: FIERCE FIGHTING BREAKS OUT WHEN ISRAELI TROOPS RAID A PALESTINIAN-CONTROLLED AREA IN HEBRON
- Title: WEST BANK/GAZA: FIERCE FIGHTING BREAKS OUT WHEN ISRAELI TROOPS RAID A PALESTINIAN-CONTROLLED AREA IN HEBRON
- Date: 30th August 2001
- Summary: (U4)HEBRON, WEST BANK (AUGUST 30, 2001) (REUTERS) 1. SLV PALESTINIAN MAN SHOOTING 0.06 2. LAS/SV/LV PALESTINIANS SHOOTING (6 SHOTS) 1.01 3. SV PALESTINIANS PREPARING ROAD SIDE BOMD 1.04 4. MCU INJURED PALESTINIAN WALKING IN STREET 1.10 5. LV/SV MORE OF GUNMEN SHOOTING, PALESTINIANS PREPARING ROAD SIDE BOMB (2 SHOTS) 1.31 6. SV PALESTINIANS SHOOTING 1.49 7. SLV PALESTINIANS TAKING WOUNDED MAN INTO CAR 2.06 8. LV/SLV MORE OF SHOOTING (2 SHOTS) 2.22 9. LV SMOKE RISING FROM ROAD SIDE BOMB 2.27 10. SV PEOPLE CHANTING ALLAH AKBAR(GOD IS GREAT IN ARABIC), AUDIO GUNFIRE (2 SHOTS) 2.51 11. SLV MORE PALESTINIAN PEOPLE RUNNING 3.15 HEBRON, WEST BANK (AUGUST 30) (REUTERS) 12. SV/CU WOMAN IN HOSPITAL WHO WAS INJURED IN AN EXCHANGE OF FIRE BETWEEN PALESTINIANS AND ISRAELI TROOPS THAT OCCURRED ON WEDNESDAY (2 SHOTS) 3.25 13. SV CHILD, ALSO INJURED IN THE 29/8 EXCHANGE OF FIRE, IN HOSPITAL 3.30 14. CU CHILD'S FACE 3.36 15. SV WOMEN LOOKING AT CHILD'S WOUNDS 3.44 16. SLV YOUNG MAN IN BED WITH LEG INJURY FROM 29/8 EXCHANGE OF FIRE 3.53 17. SV DEAD MAN, KILLED IN 29/8 EXCHANGE OF FIRE 3.58 18. SV ENTRANCE TO HEBRON HOSPITAL 4.03 19. SV BODY TAKEN OUT OF MORGUE, SURROUNDED BY PALESTINIAN FORCE-17 CARRYING GUNS 4.15 20. SV/CU PALESTINIAN MOURNERS FIRING GUNS INTO AIR, SHOUTING (2 SHOTS) 4.24 21. TV MOURNERS CARRYING BODY, SHOUTING 4.41 RAFAH, SOUTHERN GAZA (AUGUST 30, 2001) (REUTERS) 22. LV PULL OUT EGYPTIAN FLAG IN BACKGROUND, RUINS IN FOREGROUND (RAFAH IS NEAR THE EGYPTIAN BORDER) 4.57 23. CU DEBRIS 5.01 24. CU YOUNG CHILD LOOKING AT CAMERA 5.08 25. LV GROUP OF CHILDREN IN RUINS 5.13 26. SLV YOUNG BOY CLAMBERING ON RUINS 5.24 27. SLV WOMAN LOOKING THROUGH RUINS 5.32 28. SLV TANK ON ROAD PAN TO UN RELIEF AND WORKS AGENCY COMMISSIONER FOR PALESTINIAN REFUGEES (UNRWA), PETER HANSEN, STANDING ON ROAD BLOCKED BY TANK 5.46 29. PAN FROM CARS TO UN CARS 5.57 30. SLV HANSE AND MEDIA 5.59 31. MCU HANSENS 6.02 32. SLV TANK MOVING TOWARDS HANSEN 6.18 33. SLV TANK SWINGING BARREL 6.22 34. MCU (English) UN RELIEF AND WORKS AGENCY COMMISSIONER FOR PALESTINIAN REFUGEES, PETER HANSEN, SPEAKING ON ROAD IN GAZA NEAR ENTRANCE TO RAFAH I must insist with the Israeli authorities that we have a right to operate here. We are a U.N. agencey and we ought to be able to move freely as we have an agreement with the Israelis that we should be able to. And so this is unfortunately yet another obstacle that has been put in the way of our humanitarian work." 6.50 35. SLV TANK MOVING 6.59 36. LV TANK ON ROAD, ANOTHER TANK STOPPING AMBULANCE 7.12 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAA4LMIHFRT2BVKU56S4ZTRQH4O
- Location: HEBRON, WEST BANK/ RAFAH AND NEAR RAFAH, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Duration: 00:07:25
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Just hours after Israeli forces withdrew from the
Palestinian controlled town of Beit Jala, fierce fighting has
broken out when Israeli troops raided a Palestinian-controlled
area in the West Bank city of Hebron.
Earlier, Israeli tanks flattened homes in Rafah and
Palestinians in Hebron buried a man killed a day before in an
exchange of fire with Israeli soldiers.
Fierce gun battles broke out in the West Bank city of
Hebron on Thursday (August 30) after Israeli tanks entered 500
metres into a Palestinian-controlled area in the city.
Israeli forces that entered Abu Sneineh, on a hill
overlooking the centre of the city met with strong resistance
from Palestinian gunmen.
Palestinians planted roadside bombs along the hilltop in
Abu Sneinah ahead of the Israeli incursion, then detonated
them as the Israelis advanced.
The Israeli Army said that during the exchange of fire
with it fired one tank shell into Abu Sneineh.
Nine Palestinians were injured, two seriously, in the
fighting, several cars were burnt and dozens damaged by
Palestinians shopping the the city's central market were
trapped and Palestinians were unable to evacuate their
wounded to hospital.
On Wednesday (August 29) several Palestinians were injured
and one man killed in an exchange of fire between Israeli
troops and Palestinian gunmen
in the West Bank city of Hebron on Wednesday (August 29). The
Palestinian was buried on Thursday morning.
In southern Gaza, armoured Israeli bulldozers demolished
three houses near the border with Egypt early on Thursday as
gun battles raged in the Rafah area close to where
Palestinians reported an Israeli raid into their territory on
The army said the demolitions were carried out to prevent
arms smuggling from Egypt to Gaza through underground tunnels
along the border.
Israeli tanks prevented Peter Hansen, United Nations
Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) commissioner for Palestinian
Refugees in the Near East, from inspecting the demolished
Hansen called the Israeli action yet another obstacle that
has been put in the way of our humanitarian work.
At least 544 Palestinians and 157 Israelis have been
killed since the violence erupted in September after peace
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th September 2001 13:00