SPAIN: BLUE TONGUE DISEASE IN CATTLE THREATENS BULLFIGHTS DUE TO THE RESTRICTED MOVEMENT OF ANIMALS.
- Title: SPAIN: BLUE TONGUE DISEASE IN CATTLE THREATENS BULLFIGHTS DUE TO THE RESTRICTED MOVEMENT OF ANIMALS.
- Date: 24th March 2005
- Summary: (L!1) MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 24, 2005) (REUTERS-ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS: TOROS BRAVO OR FIGHTING BULLS ON RANCH NEAR EL ESCORIAL 50KMS WEST OF MADRID. (4 SHOTS) 0.23 2. SCU: SOUNDBITE (Spanish) AGRICULTURE MINISTER ELENAESPINOSA ON 16TH MARCH IN MADRID SENATE, SAYING: "We are working to find an adequate answer to worries expressed by fighting bull sectors but I would like to make it clear that it cannot threaten the health of Spanish cattle livestock." 0.36 3. CU/WS: EXTERIORS OF MADRID BULLRING. (2 SHOTS) 0.45 4. PAN: TOURISTS INSIDE THE EMPTY BULLRING. 0.54 5. SCU: TOURISTS WITH CAMERA. 0.59 6. SCU: SOUNDBITE (Spanish) ENRIQUE GARZA GENERAL SECRETARY OF BULLFIGHT IMPRESARIOS, SAYING: "It is being considered as an illness that can affect humans when in reality it cannot be transmitted to humans: and this obliges the EU and the Spanish government to establish procedures which are excessive precautions on the transport and conservation and maintenance of the fighting animals." 1.28 (L!1) MADRID, SPAIN (FILE-2004S) (REUTERS-ACCESS ALL) 7. VARIOUS: BULLS IN SMALL ENCLOSURE. (3 SHOTS) 1.41 (L!1) PAMPLONA, SPAIN (FILE 2004) (REUTERS-ACCESS ALL) 8. VARIOUS: OF BULLRING WITH SMALL BULL CHARGING PEOPLE IN RING. (3 SHOTS) 1.53 9. SCU: SOUNDBITE (Spanish) ENRIQUE GARZA, SAYING: "The law which will come into effect on the last day of this month is an order that all bulls taken to a bullring be sacrificed." 2.05 10. VARIOUS: EXTERIORS OF MADRID BULLRING. (3 SHOTS) 2.22 11. WS: CAPES AND SOUVENIRS. 2.25 12. LAS/EXTERIOR: BAR SIGN AND MURAL. 2.28 13. VARIOUS: INTERIOR BAR. (2 SHOTS) 2.37 14. CU: SIGN IN BAR SAYING SPECIALITY, BULL TAIL IN BAR. 2.40 15. CU: BULL HEADS ON WALL BAR. 2.44 16. SCU: SOUNDBITE (Spanish) WAITER CESAR, SAYING: "Everything moves around the bullfight, if the bullfights decrease everything that is related to the world of bullfighting (is affected). Understand that the ring, not so many people would be attracted to the ring and all the commerce round here would lose a lot." 3.07 17. VARIOUS: TAILOR SR JUSTO ALGABA WITH SUITS OF LIGHTS HE MAKES FOR BULLFIGHTERS AND DETAILS OF SUITS. (6 SHOTS) 3.36 18. SCU: SOUNDBITE (Spanish) ENRIQUE GARZA, SAYING: "(The banning of) bulls on the streets then the Pamplona festival would be at risk." 3.46 19. VARIOUS: BULL RUN. (4 SHOTS) 4.26 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAD6RLK4LPCNU0UG81XOMHU1SN3
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:04:31
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Blue tongue disease of cattle results in restricted movement of the
animals in Spain and threatens bullfights.
Blue tongue is a sort of flu virus disease that causes tongues of infected sheep to swell and sometimes turn blue. Fatal only to sheep but can be
transmitted by insects to other grazing animals. It broke out last October in
Andalusia and the south of Estremadura, two important bull breeding areas.
Spanish minister Elena Espinosa said they were working to find a solution but
could not risk endangering Spains 24 milllion sheep and related exports.
Current rules will allow bulls from infected areas to be trucked to
bullrings if vehicles and enclosures are disinfected at each stage. Those
animals which are rejected by bullring vets or by the public will not be
allowed to return to the ranches and will have to be slaughtered at the ring,
and for every six bulls that will be fought to extra or reserve bulls have to
trucked by the breeder; these are normally returned to the ranch. Bullfighting
association ANOET explains that a bull which is fought in a ring is worth
about 12,000 euros (or 16,000 Dollars) while a bull killed for meat is worth
about 300 Euros.
Bullfighting season starts in the Spring with major festivals in Madrid and
seville and, in July, the Pamplona bullrunning fiesta.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th April 2005 13:00