MIDDLE EAST: AFTERMATH OF FIGHTING NEAR RAFAH IN THE GAZA TRIP WHICH CAME DESPITE TRUCE EFFORTS FOLLOWING THE US...
- Title: MIDDLE EAST: AFTERMATH OF FIGHTING NEAR RAFAH IN THE GAZA TRIP WHICH CAME DESPITE TRUCE EFFORTS FOLLOWING THE US TERROR ATTACKS
- Date: 27th September 2001
- Summary: (W3)NEAR RAFAH, GAZA (SEPTEMBER 27, 2001)(REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV PEOPLE MOURNING AT HOSPITAL 0.08 2. SV BODY ON STRETCHER TAKEN OUT MORGUE REFRIGERATOR 0.16 3. MV MAN MOURNS OVER BODY 0.20 (EXTERIOR SHOTS) 4. SLV MAN SURVEYS DAMAGED BUILDINGS 0.28 5. SLVS DAMAGED BUILDING, PILES OF RUBLE (3 SHOTS) 0.44 6. MV/SV HOMELESS FAMILY WITH MOTHER CRYING (2 SHOTS) 0.51 7. SLV MEN SEARCHING IN DAMAGED BUILDINGS; PAN ACROSS DEBRIS TO DAMAGED BUILDING (2 SHOTS) 1.04 8. MV BOYS THROWING STONES AT ISRAELI ARMY POST 1.09 9. SLV ISRAELI ARMY POST 1.12 (U4)GAZA (SEPTEMBER 27, 2001)(REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 10. MV MASKED GUNMEN AT FUNERAL OF THREE PALESTINIANS KILLED IN OVERNIGHT FIGHTING 1.17 11. WIDE TV FUNERAL WITH MASKED GUNMEN WITH FIRING IN AIR 1.30 12. HAS BODIES BORNE IN AIR BY MOURNERS 1.37 12. MORE FUNERAL THROUGH STREETS; MAN CARRYING ROCKETS IN BACK PACK (8 SHOTS) 2.25 (U4)QALANDIA CROSSING, NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (SEPTEMBER 27, 2001) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 13. SLV ROADBLOCK, PEOPLE ON FOOT BEING TURNED AWAY 2.29 14. MV PALESTINIANS ARGUING WITH ISRAELI SOLDIERS 2.34 15. VARIOUS AT CROSSING (5 SHOTS) 3.02 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVABPMJVCYTERXFXFO69WUMWBDQ5
- Location: GAZA/QALANDIA CROSSING NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Duration: 00:03:02
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Thousands have attended a funeral in Gaza after three
Palestinians were killed and at least 22 people wounded, four
of them critically, in a fierce gunbattle.
The fighting on Thursday (September 27) near Rafah,
close to the border with Egypt in the Gaza Strip, came despite
an agreement to try to forge a lasting truce that could
bolster U.S. efforts to create a global anti-terror alliance.
In the overnight shooting -- near an army post -- soldiers
used heavy machineguns and the Palestinians fired with
automatic rifles. Palestinian witnesses said the gunmen feared
tanks and a bulldozer spotted in the area were about to
demolish Palestinian homes.
They said a tank shell hit a house and set it on fire.
Hours before the overnight fighting Palestinian President
Yasser Arafat and Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres agreed
at talks in Gaza to renew efforts to implement a
truce-to-talks plan that includes the lifting of Israeli
military blockades of Palestinian areas.
Peres and Arafat also said security talks would resume on
Friday, the first anniversary of a Palestinian uprising
against Israeli occupation in which more than 750 people have
been killed, and agreed to meet again next week.
But neither side expressed much hope of quickly turning a
shaky week-old ceasefire into a durable truce.
Other parts of Gaza and the West Bank were generally calm.
Israeli troops were strictly enforcing roadblocks at
crossings between the West Bank, Gaza and Israel over the Yom
Kippur weekend. Palestinians arriving at Qalandia crossing
near Ramallah are normally allowed to cross if travelling on
foot, but even these were being denied access.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:12th October 2001 13:00