WEST BANK/JERUSALEM: FIREFIGHTING BETWEEN ISRAELI AND PALESTINIAN TROOPS REUPTS IN HEBRON AND BEIT JALA/EU...
- Title: WEST BANK/JERUSALEM: FIREFIGHTING BETWEEN ISRAELI AND PALESTINIAN TROOPS REUPTS IN HEBRON AND BEIT JALA/EU FOREIGN POLICY CHIEF JAVIER SOLANA MEETS ISRAELI FOREIGN MINISTER SHIMON PERES
- Date: 3rd September 2001
- Summary: (W7) HEBRON, WEST BANK (SEPTEMBER 3, 2001) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV ISRAELI TANK FIRING FROM A HILL TOP NEAR HEBRON (3 SHOTS) 0.25 2. LV PALESTINIAN CAR BEING HIT BY BULLETS 0.37 3. SV MORE OF ISRAELI TANK FIRING 0.52 4. LV/SLV TRUCK DRIWING AWAY/PALESTINIANS RUNNING AWAY (2 SHOTS) 1.10 5. LV DAMAGED CAR 1.15 6. SV PALESTINIAN WOUNDED ARRIVING HEBRON HOSPITAL 1.26 7. SV MEDICAL TEAM TREATING WOUNDED (2 SHOTS) 1.42 8. SV/MCU WOUNDED ON BED (3 SHOTS) 1.54 9. MCU FAMILY MEMBERS CRYING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL (4 SHOTS) 2.22 10. SV MAN TAKEN ON STRETCHER IN HOSPITAL 2.30 11. SLV EXTERIOR OF HEBRON HOSPITAL 2.34 (W5) BEIT JALA,WEST BANK (SEPTEMBER 3,2001) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 12. LV/GV ISRAELI TANK ON A HILL (AUDIO OF MACHINEGUN) (2 SHOTS) 3.01 (W5)DURA, NEAR HEBRON, WEST BANK (SEPTEMBER 3,2001) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 13. PAN PALESTINIAN POLICE BUILDING WHICH WAS STRUCK BY ISRAELI MISSILES FIRED BY HELICOPTER GUNSHIPS 3.11 14. SLV/SV/LV DAMAGE TO POLICE BUILDING INTERIOR (8 SHOTS) 4.02 15. SV WOUNDED TAKEN AWAY IN AMBULANCE 4.12 (W7) JERUSALEM, (SEPTEMBER 3, 2001) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 16. SV ISRAELI FOREIGN MINISTER SHIMON PERES MEETING EU FOREIGN POLICY CHIEF JAVIER SOLANA (3 SHOTS) 4.58 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA3HGJNBKQZ3TBU9D4TOCJP5MJ8
- Location: BEIT JALA, WEST BANK / / HEBRON, WEST BANK/ JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Duration: 00:10:44
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: In the West Bank town of Hebron one Palestinian was
killed and at least seven others wounded in a firefight
between Israeli and Palestinian troops, a firefight also
erupted in Beit Jala -- a town which Israeli troops occupied
briefly last month before bowing to international pressure and
Earlier in the day, several car bombs exploded around
Jerusalem and a Palestinian Police building in Hebron was hit
by a missile.
European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana,
meeting Palestinian cabinet minister Saeb Erekat in the West
Bank city of Jericho, said all efforts were being made to
initiate positive contact between Israelis and the
Palestinians despite the violence.
The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP),
a Marxist group, claimed responsibility for the blasts in
Jerusalem which injured five people. The bombings come a week
after Israel assassinated the PFLP leader in a missile strike.
Three of the bombs exploded in Jerusalem's French Hill,
parts of which were occupied by Israel in the 1967 Middle East
war. One exploded in a car, injuring two passersby, another
exploded near an apartment building and a third under a truck.
The fourth bomb exploded under a truck in the settlement
of Gilo, injuring three people. Attacks on Gilo, built on land
occupied by Israel in the 1967 war, are especially sensitive
because most Israelis regard it as part of Jerusalem.
Israeli helicopter gunships responded to the bombings by
launching a missile strike against the office of the
Palestinian General Intelligence service in the West Bank town
of Dura, near Hebron. Witnesses said three people were
The missiles punched holes in the roof of the one-storey
building, wrecking the offices within. Several cars parked
outside were reduced to charred, mangled wreckage.
The Israeli army said the strike was its answer to
Monday's bombings and attacks across the West Bank the day
At least 551 Palestinians and 157 Israelis have now been
killed since the start last September of the Palestinian
uprising against Israeli occupation of the Gaza Strip and West
Bank after peace talks stalled.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:18th September 2001 13:00