- Title: USA: Beyonce says she definitely wants to do Broadway role
- Date: 24th April 2009
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK UNITED STATES (APRIL 22, 2009) (REUTERS) SOUNDBITE (English) BEYONCE SAYING: "I think in a couple of years after I have some children and settle down and not tour as much, it's my ideal job, because I'll be able to go to the theater every day and drop my kids off and maybe make some food - maybe I'll know how to cook by then - and then go do what I love and have some normalcy and have a regular schedule every day. I definitely want to do Broadway."
- Reuters ID: LVADM3T9R70GW2T6S3Q1IWKR9OXV
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:26
- Story Text: Beyonce talks about her Broadway dreams and her latest role as a wife defending what is hers in "Obsessed."
Grammy Award winning singer and actress Beyonce Knowles has a plan to settle down in a couple years and have some children with husband hip hop mogul Jay-Z, scale back on touring and -- debut on Broadway.
While promoting her latest movie role in "Obsessed," in which she plays a wife who takes on her husband's stalker, Knowles told Reuters that treading the boards of the Great White Way would definitely fit with her planned routine.
"I think in a couple of years after I have some children and settle down and not tour as much," said Knowles when asked if she wanted to perform on Broadway.
"It's my ideal job, because I'll be able to go to the theater every day and drop my kids off and maybe make some food -- maybe I'll know how to cook by then -- and then go do what I love and have some normalcy and have a regular schedule every day," she said. "I definitely want to Broadway."
Knowles, 27, said playing Sharon Charles in "Obsessed," which opens in U.S. theaters on Friday, was her first non-singing film role after performances in movies including Hollywood musicals, "Cadillac Records" and "Dreamgirls."
"I love this role because in most of these movies the man comes in and saves the day. And my character Sharon is the hero. She's strong and doesn't choose to be the victim, call her husband, call the police, hide in the attic -- she fights," said Knowles.
She said she found it difficult losing weight she had gained for her character Etta James in "Cadillac Records" before shooting "Obsessed."
"I worked with my acting coach and tried to lose all traces of the last character and become Sharon," she said.
"It was interesting because she was my first non-singing role. So I had to make sure she was still interesting and charming but also really tough when she needs to be and also a fighter when she needs to be," Knowles said.
The singer's "I Am..." world tour begins this week in Croatia, which Knowles said has a very theatrical feel.
"I wouldn't say Broadway," Knowles, who has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide. "It's really theatrical and I do, of course, all of the singles."
"I have the amazing Thierry Mugler who designs 70 costumes and I am also teaming up with Hamburger Helper and Feeding America," she said.
The singer is encouraging people to bring canned goods to the concert.
Her latest film "Obsessed" hits theaters on Friday, April 24th.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th May 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None