- Title: UNITED STATES: HUGH GRANT ATTENDS LOS ANGELES PREMIERE OF "NINE MONTHS"
- Date: 12th June 1995
- Summary: (JULY 11, 1995) LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) DIRECTOR CHRIS COLUMBUS SAYING WHOLE POINT OF THE MOVIE IS THAT MEN ARE JERKS COLUMBUS SAYING GRANT'S APOLOGY WAS CHARMING
- Embargoed: 27th June 1995 13:00
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVABRQHRSND88E5H4L09HUGMHG5W
- Story Text: Actor Hugh Grant appeared at the premiere of his new movie arm in arm with longtime girlfriend Elizabeth Hurley hours after a judge fined him 1,180 United States dollars and placed him on two years' probation for being caught allegedly receiving oral sex from a Hollywood prostitute.
Grant and Hurley attended the star-studded showing of "Nine Months" at a Century City movie theatre, walking up the red carpet arm-in-arm. But Grant, smiling nervously, refused to answer questions shouted at him by reporters, while Hurley, the "new face" of Estee Lauder cosmetics, wore a stony expression.
In "Nine Months" Grant stars as child psychiatrist (and consumate yuppie) Samuel Faulkner. When his girlfriend of five years, Rebecca Taylor (Julianne Moore) announces she's pregnant, he runs his car off the road in shock.
Unable to summon the nerve to tell Rebecca he doesn't want the child, Faulkner begins to suffer nightmares. The situation isn't improved when the couple visit a newly-arrived Russian doctor, played by Robin Williams. Previously he has treated only animals.
The pair finally split, but in a scene mirrored in real life, Grant finally comes grovelling back to beg forgiveness.
"I was a disgrace. You had every right to walk out on me," Faulkner says in lines bound to amuse audiences.
However a police mugshot of Grant's character shown in the movie trailer to the delight of filmgoers, does not appear in the finished film.
The comedy was written and directed by Chris Columbus, responsible for "Mrs Doubtfire." Its based on a French film that was never released in the U.S.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None