- Title: USA: JIM CARREY'S NEW FILM 'LIAR LIAR' IS NO 1 AT THE U.S. BOX OFFICE
- Date: 16th March 1997
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (MARCH 16, 1997) (REUTERS) JIM CARREY (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING I LIKE THE CONCEPT OF HOW HONEST CAN YOU BE IN YOUR LIFE. JUST THE CONCEPT THAT YOU'D HAVE TO TELL THE TRUTH AND WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO YOU AND HOW LITTLE TIME YOU'D ACTUALLY HAVE AS A FREE MAN AFTER THAT JENNIFER TILLY (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING I REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST CAME OUT TO HOLLYWOOD, I WENT IN FOR A PART AND THE CHARACTER WAS 18 AND THEY SAID HOW OLD ARE YOU, I SAID 18. THEY SAID ARE YOU AND YOUR SISTER TWINS, CAUSE MY SISTER WENT TO THE AUDITION THREE DAYS EARLIER AND SHE ALSO SAID SHE WAS 18, CAUSE THAT'S HOW WE WERE
- Reuters ID: LVABK2XTQ9C024N5VY2QIKMOJ05W
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:38
- Topics: Communications
- Story Text: Jim Carrey's new film "Liar Liar" has jumped to number one at the box office after its first weekend on release in the United States.
"Liar Liar," in which Carrey plays a smarmy lawyer who must tell the truth for one day, is the second highest opener of 1997, behind the "Star Wars" reissue.
Co-starring Maura Tierney and Justin Cooper, the film reunites Carrey with director Tom Shadyac, who was responsible for Carrey's hit film debut in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective." Shadyac also recently directed Eddie Murphy in the blockbuster film "The Nutty Professor." Carrey plays Fletcher Reid, a fast-talking attorney and habitual liar. When his son Max, played by Justin Cooper, blows out the candles on his fifth birthday cake, he has only one wish - that his dad would stop lying for 24 hours.
When Max's wish miraculously comes true, Fletcher discovers that his biggest asset - his mouth - has suddenly become his biggest liability.
Legal and emotional havoc ensue as Fletcher tries to keep his practice afloat and his ex-wife Audrey, played by Maura Tierney, from taking their son and moving to Boston.
Also in the cast are Jennifer Tilly, who plays Reid's adulteress client Samantha, Amanda Donohoe, who plays his senior partner at work, Swoosie Kurtz, as the opposing attorney in Samantha's trial, and Cary Elwes, the boyfriend of Reid's ex-wife.
This is Carrey's first film since the financial and critical disappointment of "Cable Guy." In that film, critics believed audiences were turned off by the unexpectedly dark nature of Carrey's character.
In "Liar Liar," he returns to a more sympathetic role.
The film across Europe from May.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:31st March 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None