USA: THE ANNUAL SEASON OF MOVIE AWARDS GETS UNDER WAY WITH THE 24TH PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS, THE ONLY HONOURS VOTED BY THE FANSRecord ID: 387447
- Title: USA: THE ANNUAL SEASON OF MOVIE AWARDS GETS UNDER WAY WITH THE 24TH PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS, THE ONLY HONOURS VOTED BY THE FANS
- Date: 11th January 1998
- Summary: (RTV - ACCESS ALL) (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) GARTH BROOKS SAYING, "THE LONGER YOU STAY IN THIS, THE LESS THE SYSTEM HAS SHOWED US THAT YOU GET AWARDED THE LONGER YOU'RE IN HERE. SO WHEN YOU GET AWARDED THIS LATE IN YOUR CAREER, IT EVEN MEANS KIND OF MORE THAN IT DID AT THE FIRST, SO THIS IS VERY NICE, VERY NICE."
- Reuters ID: LVA7CBZOI2ZR0ID3WJHDZ8WLX4QZ
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:14
- Story Text: - The people repeated themselves at the 24th Annual People's Choice Awards in Santa Monica, California.
"E.R." was chosen favourite television drama series for the fourth straight year and "Seinfeld" the favourite comedy for the third year running.
Also in Sunday's ceremony (January 11), Tim Allen won favourite male television performer and Garth Brooks was named favourite male musical performer. It was the eighth People's Choice honours for both.
In the world of film, Julia Roberts pulled in her sixth People's Choice accolade, this one for favourite motion picture actress. Harrison Ford won the male equivalent.
Tony Danza was a first-time winner when he was was voted favourite male in a new television show.
"Seinfeld" won the People's Choice Award for favourite television comedy -- just three weeks after star and co-creator Jerry Seinfeld announced he was ending the hit show's nine-year run.
It marked the third straight year the award for favourite TV comedy has gone to NBC's "Seinfeld," the top-rated sitcom on network television.
Tony Danza's win for "The Tony Danza Show" came despite his program's recent cancellation for low ratings.
Tim Allen took home his eighth People's Choice Award amid speculation that he would follow Seinfeld's lead and end his series "Home Improvement" to return to standup comedy.
It was the 24th year of the awards, which are given out in 15 categories and chosen by the American public by means of a Gallup poll.
Another sitcom veteran, former "Cheers" regular Kirstie Alley, took home two awards -- one as favourite female performer in a new television series and another when her show, "Veronica's Closet," tied with "Dharma and Greg" for favourite new comedy series.
"Liar Liar" was named favourite comedy motion picture.
"I want to thank the guy who invented Prozac," the movie's star, manic comedian Jim Carrey, said, "without whom none of this would be possible." NBC's hosptial drama "ER," television's top-rated program, took home the award for favourite dramatic series for a fourth consecutive year.
Other winners were police drama "Brooklyn South" for favourite new dramatic series, "Days of Our Lives" for favourite daytime series, "Jerry Maguire" for favourite motion picture drama and Reba McEntire -- who co-hosted the show with actor Ray Ramano -- for favourite female musical performer.
Actress Whoopi Goldberg was honoured for 20 years of achievements in film and television. She was serenaded to the stage by singer Tom Jones.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th January 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None