- Title: ARGENTINA: Argentines make the world's longest apple tart
- Date: 28th November 2011
- Summary: APPLE TART BEING SERVED AND EATEN
- Embargoed: 13th December 2011 12:00
- Location: Argentina, Argentina
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA7C6IJ9QLYIH5WFQHAJ0NLXA3H
- Story Text: A group of enthusiastic apple tart makers made the world's longest apple pie Sunday (November 27) in Buenos Aires.
Excited participants took sections of the tart out of bakery trucks parked along Rivadavia Avenue, the world's longest avenue, assembling them end to end.
The pie measured 303 meters long (984 ft) and was made to benefit those who suffer from celiac disease. People with celiac are limited to eating a gluten free diet. 100 meters (328 ft) of the pie was made gluten free.
The event's organizer also wanted to draw attention to what they think are the world's most delicious apples.
"It is the longest tart in the world but this time on the longest avenue in the world," said Maricarmen Garcia the event organizer.
"We are happy to bring the tart here to the people of Buenos Aires for them to try. It is exquisite. It is home made and we are promoting that we have the best apples in the world."
For the third year in a row, the group of pie lovers hailing from Cinco Saltos, Argentina coordinated their efforts to produce the tasty tart which served an estimated twenty four thousand people.
Last year's tart was 297 meters long (974 ft).
Twenty thousand apples were used for the endeavor as were three hundred and sixty seven dozen eggs, over a thousand kilos of flour, one thousand seven hundred pounds of butter and sugar to make the pastry.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.