- Title: ARGENTINA: Singer Zamba Quipildo performs during Easter ceremony in Buenos Aires
- Date: 27th March 2013
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (MARCH 26, 2013) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF CATHEDRAL VARIOUS OF SINGER ZAMBA QUIPILDOR PERFORMING, PEOPLE LISTENING
- Embargoed: 11th April 2013 13:00
- Location: Argentina
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Entertainment,General,Religion,Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA86ZI5EGJ9SL7BFZA47L0ZH1T7
- Story Text: Buenos Aires begins Easter celebrations with performance of world renowned 'Misa Criolla'
Easter celebrations were underway in Buenos Aires on Tuesday evening (March 26) as people gathered in the city's central cathedral to hear singer Zamba Quipildor's interpretation of the world renowned 'Misa Criolla'.
The famed piece was composed by the late Ariel Ramirez - an Argentine composer, pianist and music director - in 1964 and was first performed publicly in Dusseldorf, Germany in 1967.
"I cannot describe the emotions I feel having come here to sing, there are no words. The only thing I ask God and the Virgin is that they give me strength to sing," Zamba Quipildo told Reuters Television.
The entire mass is sung in Spanish alongside instruments and rhythms from the region's folkloric traditions, and is widely considered a musical masterpiece from the South American country.
The free concert, organised by the archdiocese and the city government, was held in the same cathedral where the newly elected Argentine Pope Francis used to give his sermons before moving to Italy.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.