- Title: GERMANY: Argentina wait until last moment to name team.
- Date: 2nd June 2006
- Summary: WIDE OF PRESS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) COACH JOSE PEKERMAN, SPEAKING ABOUT HIS TEAM TO PLAY NETHERLANDS, SAYING: "This possibility is currently being considered. At the moment I can not guarantee you anything. We want to sort this out properly then we will be able to confirm. But yes, there is a possibility that change is going to happen." PEKERMAN IN VIEWFINDER JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) COACH JOSE PEKERMAN, SPEAKING ABOUT JUAN ROMAN RIQUELME, SAYING: "He has the same condition as the others. Sometimes he is capable of playing with a certain degree of pain. Not all players react in the same way to different situations, but not because they don't want to but because it has to do with their different stamina. They can overcome unpleasant situations easily. Sometimes one can take their time, sometimes not. We shall see how the game will be played." WIDE OF NEWS CONFERENCE WITH PAN TO JOURNALISTS
- Embargoed: 17th June 2006 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVACEI7850MALG2OPG5NLZIFTGZU
- Story Text: Argentina will wait until the last minute to announce their team for the Group C decider against Netherlands in Frankfurt on Wednesday (June 20).
"I haven't told the players the lineup yet," coach Jose Pekerman told a news conference, breaking with the pattern of naming his team early.
"Aside from the superstition (of sticking to habit), there are situations that are different," Pekerman said at Argentina's World Cup base before taking his squad to Frankfurt.
Group leaders Argentina and the Netherlands, who trail them only on goal difference, have qualified for the second round and will be playing only for top place on Wednesday.
Pekerman, like his Dutch counterpart Marco van Basten, is considering what changes to make to a team that has been playing brilliantly, notably when they crushed Serbia & Montenegro 6-0 in their last match in Gelsenkirchen on Friday.
One issue under consideration is the yellow cards picked up by strikers Hernan Crespo and Javier Saviola along with defender Gabriel Heinze. They could all be rested so the bookings are cleared at the end of the group stage.
Also Pekerman gave a hint that influential midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme is playing with a minor injury.
"He has the same condition as the others. Sometimes he is capable of playing with a certain degree of pain," said Pekerman.
Pekerman named his lineup to face Ivory Coast and Serbia the day before the matches.
The Group C winners are likely to face Portugal or Mexico, although Angola still have a faint chance of qualifying.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None