- Title: ARGENTINA: SEARCH CONTINUES FOR KIDNAPPTO FIAT OFFICIAL IN BUENOS AIRES
- Date: 23rd March 1972
- Summary: 1. GV Police cars along road. 0.05 2. SV Burnt out truck belonging to kidnappers (2 shots) 0.16 3. SV Sr. Streverano talking to pressmen (4 shots) 0.29 4. SV Armed police checking cars (4 shots) 0.42 5. SV Man gets out of car and police search boot (2 shots) 0.50 6. SV Collective and police checking passengers (2 shots) 1.02 7. SV Policeman checking van. 1.05 Initials VS/2.06 VS/2.17 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th April 1972 13:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVA7P8DNDB9C8JGALWOU4HOKQGBV
- Story Text: The search continues throughout Bouenos Airs for the Director-General of Fiat Argentina, Sr. Oberdan Sallustro, who was kidnapped by the urban guerrilla group known as the Trotskyite People's Revolutionary Army (ERP) on Tuesday (March 21).
The ERP have announced that Sr. Sallustro will be tried by a "People's Justice" court, on charges of looting the country, interference in local politics and exploitation of workers.
An evening paper today (Thursday) published a photograph of Sr. Sallustro taken in his place of captivity. The picture, showing the hostage looking grim against a background of flags and slogans of the ERP, was left in a city bar without caption or explanation. Last night (Wednesday) a note from Sr. Sallustro was similarly left in another bar.
SYNOPSIS: Police activity continues in high gear throughout Buenos Aires in the search for Oberdan Sallustro, the Director-General of Fiat Argentina, who was kidnapped by urban guerrillas on Tuesday. The van which the kidnappers used after the abduction was found burnt out some miles from Senor Sallustro's home, where pressmen clustered around one of Fiat's officials for a statement after he had visited the kidnapped man's family.
Cars and other vehicles were being thoroughly checked throughout the city - as police do not think the kidnappers have taken their man far. On Wednesday night a note form Senor Sallustro was left in a city bar, and, on Thursday afternoon, a photograph of the hostage was similarly left in another bar. The picture shows Senor Sallustro looking grim, against a background of flags and slogans of the Trotskyite People's Revolutionary Army - who have claimed the kidnapping.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None