- Title: ARGENTINA: SWISS SKIERS WIN THE BIG PRIZES IN ARGENTINA SKI CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Date: 18th August 1977
- Summary: 1. GV: Flags of nations competing in tournament 0.06 2. GV: Italian, Yugoslavian and Swiss competitors (THREE SHOTS) 0.21 3. GV: Downhill competition in progress (Five Shots) 1.07 4. GV: Zoom into CU first three place-getters on rostrum, winner CU 1.15 Argentina, the host nation had five competitors in the final, second only in numbers to Canada, which provided ten. Tough competition in what is their off-season allows top European and Canadian skiers to stay sharp and fit for the rigours of their home seasons. This first International meeting was a success for the Bariloche, which organised it. The triumphant Swiss trio Mueller in the centre, Walter, who came second, on the right with Martin on the left. Initials SPORT: SKIING Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 2nd September 1977 13:00
- Location: BARILOCHE, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVA4CO3RQ32SBGVNP992S8BVQUYN
- Story Text: Skiers from Switzerland filled all three top places in the Argentina International Championships at Bariloche. The winner, Peter Muellar finished in 1 min 38.32 seconds, just 18 hundredths of a second ahead of Vesti Walter. Berthod Martin was third.
SYNOPSIS: Seven nations took part - Argentina, Canada, Chile, Japan, Switzerland Britain and United States.
This was the first time a top-ranking skiing competition had been held in Bariloche, a popular resort in Rio Begro Province of Southern Argentina. After the elimination heats, a field of 23 was left to battle out the final of the main event, the men's Downhill
First to come swooping down the glistening hard- packed piste was Vesti Walter, whose time of 1 min 38.5 seconds sets a daunting figure for the rest. As first down, Walter had the piste in its best condition. Yet Pete Mueller, who was fifth down the slopes, clipped eighteen hundredths from his time to emerge as the winner.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None