- Title: USA: Thousand dress up for annual halloween parade.
- Date: 1st November 2008
- Summary: THE UNDEAD MARCHING TO BILLIE JEAN FROM MICHAEL JACKSON'S 'THRILLER' ALBUM A DRAGON BREATHING FIRE " PRESIDENT BUSH" ON HIS LAST DAY IN OFFICE
- Embargoed: 16th November 2008 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz
- Reuters ID: LVA5VS5T36UTILUO7DO7ZKUWASRJ
- Story Text: From the ghoulish to the political to the burlesque, New Yorkers celebrate All Hallows Eve with their annual parade.
Ghosts, goblins, dragons, real and imaginary characters found their way to New York City's West Village on Friday (October 31) to celebrate Halloween with an annual parade.
"They all say, 'When you see the skeletons, that's the beginning of the New York City Village Halloween Parade,'" explained a skeleton named Bill, preparing to start the procession.
In its 35th year, the parade - open to all those in costume - celebrated the haunting holiday before All Saints' Day with elaborate floats and music. Thousands lined Sixth Avenue in Greenwich Village to watch revellers walk, dance, run, and float down the procession.
"The Day of the Dead procession usually leads off the parade," said another skeleton named Clayton.
Following the deathly opening, more than fifty bands and musical groups over the course of several hours marched in between floats of fire-breathing dragons and groups of costumed participants.
From the traditional Halloween fair of ghosts and demons, to movie and comic-book inspired characters, to the timely political figures from the presidential campaign, to even some creative costumes that stretched social norms and boundaries, New Yorkers started off their holiday with abandon.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.