- Title: FRANCE: FRENCH PARACHUTISTS MAKE JUMPS OVER PARIS
- Date: 16th June 1972
- Summary: 1. Ground to Air shot paras overhead 0.08 2. MV PAN crowd watching 0.14 3. GV TILT DOWN parachutist landing with Eiffel in background 0.26 4. GV TILT DOWN parachutist down similar and more Eiffel Tower 0.35 5. SV Crowds looking 0.37 6. GV TILT DOWN other parachutists to ground (2 shots) 0.54 7. SV Parachutists winding up chutes PAN TO LV Eiffel Tower 1.02 Initials OS/1205 OS/1358 SPORT - PARACHUTING Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st July 1972 13:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA2CUQYOTEFRON447OIUT15EYEK
- Story Text: The heart of Paris, was the scene of a demonstration of precision parachuting on Thursday (15 June). Ten members of the eleventh parachute division leapt from a large transport plane to land in a small marked area on the Champs-de-Mars, which is between the Eiffel Tower and the Invalides.
The French airborne troops landed at the foot of the statue of Marshal Joffre. All the jumpers were instructors at the school for airborne troops in Pau.
The jumps were made as part of a public information day about the activities of the airborne troops.
SYNOPSIS: Parachutes billowed over Paris, thursday as a precision demonstration was put on by members of the french Airborne.
A large crowd gathered to view the parachutists guide their canopies to a small circle marked out at the foot of the statue of Marshal Joffre on the Champs-de-Mars near the Eiffel Tower.
All the parachutists were instructors at the school for airborne troops at Pau in the South of France. ....Such jumps present some danger. The parachutists must aim for a small area, and if they were to miss by much they could wind up in the trees, or suspended from the tower itself.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None