- Title: Iraqi troops advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- Date: 15th March 2017
- Summary: BAB JDID NEIGHBOURHOOD, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ (MARCH 15, 2017) (REUTERS) SMOKE RISING FROM DIRECTION OF MOSUL'S OLD CITY HELICOPTER FIRING AT UNKNOWN TARGET SMOKE RISING FROM BEHIND BUILDINGS HELICOPTER FIRING MISSILES AT UNKNOWN TARGET VARIOUS OF PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING IN THE DISTANCE ISLAMIC STATE FLAG DAMAGED ROAD IN BAB JDID NEIGHBOURHOOD ROAD SIGN READING IN ARABIC AND ENGLISH 'MOSUL AIRPORT', 'MOSUL HOSPITAL', AL-MANSOR' AND 'BAGHDAD' RUBBLE AND DAMAGED STREET SIGNS, SOUND OF GUNFIRE BURNT OUT CARS IN STREET AND DAMAGED BUILDINGS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FEDERAL POLICE MAJOR GENERAL, HAIDAR TORGHAM, SAYING: "Our forces are advancing towards al Bab al Abyad and the new Mosul. Garage Baghdad and Al-Nour mosque, which was used by Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi as headquarters, have been liberated. Thank God the Federal police have advanced and God willing we will liberate Mosul right flank completely. The obstacles have been successfully cleared." VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS WITH BELONGINGS ON CARTS AND TROLLEYS FLEEING THE CITY IRAQI FORCES ARMOURED VEHICLES PARKED ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ELEKAYDAT NEIGHBORHOOD RESIDENT, HAIDAR IBRAHIM, SAYING: "Before we left we were struggling immensely. There was no food and no electricity. If anyone's supplies were depleted they had to go and ask neighbours." Question off-camera: "When was the area liberated?" "The area was liberated yesterday afternoon. The military came suddenly, they came to my house while IS were outside. There were clashes and IS were defeated." FAMILY PUSHING ELDERLY MAN WITH CRUTCH ON CARRIAGE PEOPLE WALKING DOWN HILL MEN PUSHING ELDERLY WOMAN IN CART DOWN HILL SMOKE RISING FROM VARIOUS PARTS OF OLD CITY
- Embargoed: 29th March 2017 17:10
- Keywords: Iraq Mosul Islamic State Iron Bridge
- Location: BAB JDID NEIGHBOURHOOD, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: BAB JDID NEIGHBOURHOOD, WEST MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001682NW3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi government forces took control of a main bridge in Mosul on Wednesday (March 15) as they advanced towards the mosque where the Islamic State's leader declared a caliphate in 2014, federal police said.
The seizure of the Iron Bridge, linking eastern Mosul with the militant-held Old City on the west side, means the government holds three of the five bridges over the Tigris and bolsters Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi's assertion that the battle is reaching its final stages.
Reuters' footage showed some of the fierce fighting taking place in the city, with plumes of smoke visible in many areas and residents fleeing with their belongings while the battled raged around them. A helicopter was also seen firing missiles at an unknown target.
If Islamic State loses control of Mosul it will be a huge blow as it has served as the group's de facto capital since its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi proclaimed himself head of a caliphate spanning Iraq and Syria from the Nuri Mosque in July 2014.
The capture of the mosque would therefore be a huge symbolic victory as well as a concrete gain. But many hard days of fighting could still lie ahead as government forces try to make headway in the streets and narrow alleyways of the Old City.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None