- Title: JAPAN: FOOTBALL/SOCCER - AC Milan's Kaka delighted with Club World Cup final win
- Date: 17th December 2007
- Summary: AC MILAN COACH CARLO ANCELOTTI ARRIVING AT PRESS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) AC MILAN COACH CARLO ANCELOTTI SAYING: "I think we can finally erase the bitter memories of losing to Boca in 2003 with this nice victory. Kaka delivered a wonderful performance suitable and the fact that he won this year's Ballon d'Or gave him an extra incentive. Tonight, especially in the second half when he had more space, he proved to be decisive."
- Embargoed: 1st January 2008 12:00
- Location: Japan
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVADIUBP0Z5IJOEQNMRCTJOFNRFL
- Story Text: AC Milan's Kaka says winning the Club World Cup in Japan is a childhood dream come true and coach Carlos Ancelotti praises the Brazilian for his decisive contribution.
AC Milan's star player Kaka, who was named the best player in the FIFA Club World Cup won by the European champions on Sunday (December 16), said that lifting this trohpy was a childhood dream come true.
"Ever since I was a child, I've watched this championship. We all prepared well this week, the whole squad. It was important to arrive in Japan early. I believe this was a result of a good preparation," Kaka told reporters after Milan's 4-2 victory over South America's champions Boca Juniors of Argentina in the Club World Cup final held in Japan's port city of Yokohama.
The 25 year-old Brazilian, who is favourite to be crowned 20076 FIFA World Player on Monday (December 17), explained the title had a special meaning to him and many teammates.
"There is a party in Brazil for sure. We have eight Brazilians in the team and they were all here tonight. So, Brazilians are partying because of all the players who have won it and because so playing against an Argentinean team and winning them has a special meaning to me," Kaka added.
Kaka capped a virtuoso performance by scoring his side's third goal and setting up two for Filippo Inzaghi as the Italians became the first European side to win the revamped tournament.
Kaka was also the first to be praised by Milan's coach Carlo Ancelotti.
"I think we can finally erase the bitter memories of losing to Boca in 2003 with this nice victory. Kaka delivered a wonderful performance suitable and the fact that he won this year's Ballon d'Or gave him an extra incentive. Tonight, especially in the second half when he had more space, he proved to be decisive," Milan's coach said.
Fans - Italians and Japanese alike - rejoiced over the victory, singing and shouting outside the Yokohama International Stadium that was packed with nearly 70,000 spectators.
"Kaka was great. Inzaghi was great. Everybody was great,!" said an Italian man who came to see the final all the way from Padova, Italy.
An Italian female fan shouted: "I'm so happy! Milan is the world's number one team!"
This is the fourth time AC Milan won the title of the world's best club. It won the old Intercontinental Cup, the forerunner of the Club World Cup, in 1969, 1989 and 1990.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None