ITALY: SURPRISE VICTORY BY EAST GERMAN RUNNER IN 10,000 METRES AND WIN BY SOVIET WOMAN IN SHOT-PUT AT EUROPEAN ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS.Record ID: 496290
- Title: ITALY: SURPRISE VICTORY BY EAST GERMAN RUNNER IN 10,000 METRES AND WIN BY SOVIET WOMAN IN SHOT-PUT AT EUROPEAN ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS.
- Date: 3rd September 1974
- Summary: 1. GTV Soviet shot putter throws shot (winning throw) 0.10 2. GV PAN East German shot putter throws (second place) 0.18 3. GV PAN Start off 10,000 metres and runners around track 0.40 4. LV PAN Runners along straight 0.58 5. SCU Crowd 1.01 6. SV PAN East German holds off British challenge to win race 1.10 7. SV ZOOM OUT GV Winner making lap of honour 1.17 Initials ET/1959 ET/2019 SPORT: ATHLETICS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA516VDCLKRVNHMBH1IEOJRGIBM
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:18
- Story Text: A dynamic break in the final lap brought East German Manfred Kuschmann a surprise 10,000 metres triumph on the opening day of the European Athletics Championships in Rome on Monday night (2 September).
The 24-year old computer programmer from Halle burst from nowhere to leave the field of 33 trailing. He seemed to be having things all his way until the last few yards, when Tony Simmons of British threw everything into the race.
But the Welshman, a 25-year old paint technician, could not catch Kushmann at the line. Italian Guiseppe Cindolo, who brought shouts of approval from the Rome crowd when he moved up to contest the lead earlier in the race, held on to third place.
Kushmann finished the last of the 25 laps in an impressive time of 55.3 seconds.
In the women's shot-put event, N. Tchizhova of the Soviet Union took the gold medal with a throw of 20.78 metres (68 feet 2 and a quarter inches). M. Adam of East Germany took the silver medal with a throw of 20.45 metres (67 feet eight and a half inches), and H. Fibingerova of Czechoslovakia, the bronze with 20.33 metres (66 feet eight and a half inches)
The European Championships - now in their 11th year - drew 1,300 entrants this year. The Championships opened on Monday with an extravagant ceremony, including a sky diving exhibition, and will continue for the rest of the week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:18th September 1974 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None