- Title: FILE: CIA Director Petraeus resigns
- Date: 9th November 2012
- Summary: ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - AUGUST 31, 2011) (REUTERS) RETIRING GENERAL PETRAEUS GIVING HIS WIFE A BOUQUET OF FLOWERS, THEN SMILING AND GIVING CROWD A THUMBS UP SIGN MILITARY HONOUR CORDON MARCHING DURING CEREMONY
- Embargoed: 24th November 2012 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA21AIGQMFNAI2RLQMC52D2ORBC
- Story Text: CIA Director David Petraeus resigned his post as head of the nation's leading spy agency on Friday (November 09), saying he had engaged in an extramarital affair and acknowledging that he "showed extremely poor judgment."
In a letter to the CIA workforce, Petraeus, age 60, said that he met with President Barack Obama at the White House on Thursday and asked "to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position."
"After being married for 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair," he wrote. "Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours."
Obama, who was reelected to a second term on Tuesday (November 06), said in a statement that he accepted Petraeus' resignation, praising him for his work at the CIA and for leading U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Petraeus' departure, sudden and unexpected, appeared to end the public career of a man who played a key role in the Iraq war, led the U.S. Central Command and commanded U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan.
It also threatened to usher in a period of instability at the CIA, which is grappling with a plateau in its budget after a decade of steady increases and is fending off questions about its performance before and after the attack that led to the death of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens in Benghazi, Libya.
Intelligence sources said that Michael Morell, the agency's long-time deputy director, would serve as acting CIA chief for the immediate future.
Morell, who is well respected at both the White House and on Capitol Hill, had previously served as acting director following the departure of former CIA chief Leon Panetta.
Petraeus' wife, Holly, has been an advocate for U.S. veterans and head of the Office of Servicemember Affairs at the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None