- Title: U.S. Senate approves Trump's conservative Supreme Court pick
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - MARCH 20, 2017) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) JUDGE NEIL GORSUCH TAKING A SEAT AT THE SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE BACK VIEW OF SENATE JUDICIARY CHAIRMAN SENATOR CHARLES GRASSLEY SWEARING IN SUPREME COURT NOMINEE, JUDGE NEIL GORSUCH BACK VIEW OF GORSUCH TESTIFYING
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 17:14
- Keywords: Senate Mitch McConnell Chuck Schumer Gorsuch Supreme Court
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046BEJM13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Republican-led Senate on Friday gave Donald Trump the biggest triumph of his young presidency, confirming his Supreme Court nominee over stout Democratic opposition and restoring a conservative majority on the highest U.S. judicial body.
The Senate, which last year refused to consider Democratic former President Barack Obama's nominee to the court, voted 54-45 to approve Republican Trump's pick, Colorado-based federal appeals court judge Neil Gorsuch, to the lifetime job. Three Democrats joined the Republicans in voting for Gorsuch.
Gorsuch's confirmation ends the longest Supreme Court vacancy since 1862 during the American Civil War, with the court down a justice for almost 14 months since long-serving conservative Justice Antonin Scalia died on Feb. 13, 2016.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None