- Title: Damscus residents condemn U.S. strikes on Syrian airbase
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: DAMASCUS, SYRIA (APRIL 7, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF OMAYADES MOSQUE IN OLD DAMASCUS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ATTENDING FRIDAY PRAYERS INSIDE MOSQUE OMAYADES MOSQUE IMAM, MAMOUN RAHMAH, GIVING FRIDAY PRAYERS SERMON FROM MINBAR (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OMAYADES MOSQUE IMAM, MAMOUN RAHMAH, GIVING FRIDAY PRAYERS SERMON, SAYING: "We say to (U.S. President Donald) Trump, this foolish, reckless, decadent (man), we say to him, your masters are before you and after you. Your American policy is known to be one of lies, deception and crocodile tears. This is how you are known." PROFILE VIEW OF RAHMAH GIVING SERMON FROM MINBAR (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) OMAYADES MOSQUE IMAM, MAMOUN RAHMAH, GIVING FRIDAY PRAYER SERMON, SAYING: "Trump: your attacks made us stronger, made us more steadfast and made us more determined." VARIOUS OF WOMAN WITH CHILDREN IN MOSQUE COURTYARD (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DAMASCUS RESIDENT AND DENTIST, MAMOUN AL-QAYSSI, SAYING: "If I was scared I would have been scared from the first day. We will stay here just like the trees." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LEAVING MOSQUE AFTER FRIDAY PRAYERS WOMAN CARRYING BABY WALKING, OTHER PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET SALESMAN HANGING GOODS HEART-SHAPED NECKLESS WITH SYRIAN FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DAMASCUS RESIDENT AND INVESTOR, USAMA MUBAYYED, SAYING: "Not only if they strike the airbase, even if they hit us here, we will remain steadfast. We will not leave Syria. We stand by our leader no matter what happens. We do not care about them. America, not only with this president, but even before him, they have all been conspiring against Syria. They all envy Syria. They all want Syria." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON STREET FOLLOWING FRIDAY PRAYER
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 14:25
- Keywords: Damascus Syria US strikes Bashar al-Assad Khan Sheikhoun chemical weapons sarin gas US President Donald Trump reaction
- Location: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- City: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016BEIMH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As residents of Damascus attended prayer services on Friday (April 7), the mood in the city was defiant following overnight military action from the United States that targeted a Syrian military base.
"Trump: your attacks made us stronger, made us more steadfast and made us more determined," Omayades Mosque Imam, Mamoun Rahmah, told worshippers during a Friday prayer sermon.
The United States fired cruise missiles early on Friday, targeting a Syrian airbase from which President Donald Trump said a deadly chemical weapons attack had been launched. It was the first direct U.S. assault on the government of Bashar al-Assad in six years of civil war.
At least 70 people, many of them children, were killed in Tuesday's (April 4) attack on Khan Sheikhoun by what US government sources said was sarin gas -- the deadliest chemical attack in Syria since the same nerve agent killed hundreds of people in a rebel-held area near Damascus in 2013. The Syrian government and Moscow have denied that Syrian forces were behind the gas attack.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None