- Title: WEST BANK: U.S. secretary of state Kelly meets Palestinian president Abbas
- Date: 3rd January 2014
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (JANUARY 03, 2014) (REUTERS) CONVOY OF U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE JOHN KERRY ARRIVING AT PALESTINIAN PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS AT COMPOUND WIDE OF KERRY'S CONVOY KERRY LEAVING CAR, WAVING TO JOURNALISTS KERRY SHAKING HANDS WITH CHIEF OF PALESTINIAN NEGOTIATORS SAEB EREKAT, KERRY ENTERING PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND MOSAIC PICTURE OF THE DOME OF ROCK AT PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND VARIOUS OF MEETING BETWEEN PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS AND U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE JOHN KERRY PALESTINIAN AND AMERICAN FLAGS VARIOUS OF MEETING PALESTINIAN FLAG EXTERIOR OF PALESTINIAN PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND
- Embargoed: 18th January 2014 12:00
- Location: West bank
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVA15I62ZW9H5ZK4PJPGH2UJOE
- Story Text: US Secretary of State John Kerry returns to Mideast and meets with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah on Friday (January 03).
Kerry has told reporters that the agreement, besides borders and security, would aim to address all the conflict's key issues such as refugees and Jerusalem.
Palestinian and Israeli officials have publicly differed on the future status of the West Bank's border with Jordan, where Israelis want a permanent security presence but Palestinians want a full withdrawal of Israeli soldiers and Jewish settlers.
Kerry has said such an accord would narrow gaps between the sides and pave the way for a final deal when the nine-month period allotted the U.S.-backed talks expires on April 29.
An official close to Abbas dismissed Kerry's drive for a "framework agreement" as biased toward Israel.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None