- Title: UKRAINE: Rock band launches anthem for the orange revolution
- Date: 22nd October 2005
- Summary: (L!1) KIEV, UKRAINE (DECEMBER 22,2004) (REUTERS) WIDE OF SINGER SVYATOSLAV VAKARCHUK WITH JOURNALISTS VAKARCHUK SINGING "ALMOST SPRING" IN ENGLISH
- Embargoed: 6th November 2005 12:00
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Entertainment,Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVACMUV2D3TE0PPJWJP4XALI2WJN
- Story Text: Ukrainian rock band launches anthem for the orange revolution.
One of Ukraine's most famous rock singers has written a song in English which has already become the unofficial anthem of Ukraine's Orange Revolution.
The song, "Almost Spring", was played repeatedly over loud speakers at the Independence Square in Kiev where thousands of supporters of the opposition presidential candidate Viktor Yushchenko were gathered last month.
Svyatoslav Vakarchuk is a former physics student and the lead singer of Ukraine's most popular rock band. His band "Okean Elzy" ("Elza's Ocean"), from the western city of Lviv, was often at the top of the Ukrainian charts in the last decade. But their popularity has recently soared to new heights with the rhythmic and catchy tune "Almost Spring" sung in Ukrainian.
Vakarchuk has translated the song into English, and used footage of the massive protests to make a music video.
He says now is a fantastic time for his country and hopes the English version of the song will have some impact not just in Europe but also around the world. "This is the first time that we have had many events along with this revolution when Ukraine has really ruled (won) something.
Like the Eurovision song contest winner, the best footballer, and the best boxer in the world, and also this revolution." he said. "Its the year of our country, we are happy about that and next year we want to see it become strong and become a part of this society we call Europe."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.