- Title: WEST BANK: VICTIMS OF THE CONTINUING VIOLENCE COME TO TERMS WITH THEIR INJURIES
- Date: 12th October 2000
- Summary: HEBRON, WEST BANK (OCTOBER 11, 2000) (REUTERS) 1. SLV EXTERIORS OF HEBRON GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL; SCU SIGN OUTSIDE HOSPITAL; LAS FLAG (3 SHOTS) 0.11 2. MV /SCU/CU INTERIOR WARD WHERE FIVE-YEAR OLD TAISSIR NASSAR IS SUFFERING THIRD DEGREE BURNS ON THE LOWER HALF OF HIS BODY; SCU BURNS; SCU TAISSIR CRYING AS THE DOCTOR EXAMINES HIM; DOCTOR EXAMINING HIM (5 SHOTS) 0.58 3. SCU/CU TAISSIR BEING COMFORTED BY HIS MOTHER (2 SHOTS) 1.09 4. (SOUNDBITE) (ARABIC) TAISSIR'S MOTHER, ASMAHAN NASSAR SAYING, This should not be so. Why should this be happening. We don't want to fight them. All we want is peace. 1.21 5. MV/SCU ANOTHER WARD WHERE 23-YEAR OLD POLICEMAN AND GUNSHOT PATIENT, IAD KHALID LIES; SCU WOUNDS IN HIS BUTTOCKS AND THIGH; SCU DOCTORS EXAMINING HIM (4 SHOTS) 1.55 6. (SOUNDBITE) (ARABIC) IAD KHALID SAYING "I was on patrol with my unit when they just started firing on us from nowhere. There's nothing we could do. They just shot us." 2.09 7. SCU DOCTORS EXAMINING 22-YEAR OLD, JAWAD MOHAMED, SHOT IN THE CHEST; SCU PATIENT WRITHING IN PAIN (3 SHOTS) 2.35 8. (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) HEBRON GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL DOCTOR YOUNES SARAHNE SAYING "The majority of the people who come here to this hospital are (suffering from being shot by) live bullet, live bullet. Not rubber bullet." 2.44 9. SCU GUNSHOT PATIENT, 19-YEAR OLD SHADY MOHAMED BEING FED BY RELATIVE; SCU SHADY'S WOUNDED STOMACH (5 SHOTS) 3.07 10. (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) 19-YEAR OLD STUDENT, SHADY MOHAMED SAYING: I know I won't be able to get back to the streets anytime soon as I'll be here for quite some time. 3.14 11. MV/SCU DOCTORS EXAMINING 21-YEAR OLD CHE GEVARA MOHAMED, SHOT IN THE UPPER THIGH; MOHAMED'S RELATIVES LOOKING ON AS HE WRITHES IN PAIN (7 SHOTS) 3.48 12. (SOUNDBITE) (ARABIC) CHE GEVARA MOHAMED SAYING I was just on my way home when I came upon some people throwing stones at the Israelis so I joined them and before I knew it, they had shot me in my leg. 3.59 13. (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) DOCTOR YOUNES SARAHNE SAYING: It's aiming at the upper extremities, the vital organs, upper, it's mortal. The heart, the skull or the brain. The majority of the patients I see in the hospital it's upper chest, upper chest. 4.22 14. SLV EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL EMERGENCY WARD WITH SIGN 4.25 15. MV SEVEN-YEAR OLD SUAD AL MANSR, HER HAND IN A CAST, IS SEATED WITH HER FATHER AFTER JUST BEING DISCHARGED; SCU SUAD'S ARM WRAPPED IN PLASTER OF PARIS; SUAD SMILING AT CAMERA (3 SHOTS) 4.45 RAMALLAH OCTOBER 10, 2000 (REUTERS) 16. SCU ISRAELI SOLDIER LOOKING THROUGH THE SIGHT OF HIS WEAPON; MV SOLDIERS FIRING ON STONE-THROWING MOB (3 SHOTS) 5.04 17. SLV PALESTINIANS THROWING STONES AT BORDER POLICE; TYRES BURNING AS PALESTINIANS THROW STONES 5.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 27th October 2000 13:00
- Location: HEBRON AND RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Reuters ID: LVAY76BDQ5IN2JI2D3V9CGSPH8K
- Story Text: The ongoing violence in the West Bank has claimed
scores of lives and injured many more. In Hebron in the West
Bank, recovering victims are trying to come to terms with
their disabilities while counting their blessings for being
Five-year-old Taissir Nassar is lucky to be alive. He
and a group of Palestinian youths were throwing stones at
Israeli soldiers during a demonstration when shots rang out.
Everyone ducked for cover and suddenly there was the rush
Taissir was swept up by someone and while his new found
saviour was running, he tripped and fell, accidentally tossing
Taissir into a burning inferno of tyres. He has third degree
burns on thirty percent of his body including his genitals.
Doctors say he's lucky to be alive but insist he'll have
to undergo skin grafting and physical therapy for years to
Taissir's not the only one suffering. Twenty-one-year old
Che Gevara Mohamed says he had just met up with some friends
of his who were engaging the border police in a running,
"I was just on my way home when I came upon some people
throwing stones at the Israelis so I joined them and before I
knew it, they had shot me in my leg," he recounted from his
Doctors at Hebron Government Hospital confirm Israeli
soldiers are mostly using live ammunition.
"The majority of the people who come here to this hospital
are (victims of) live bullet. Not rubber bullet," said Doctor
Younes Sarahne. He should know. He's been treating most of the
gunshot wounds and also says the Israeli soldiers are aiming
"They're at the upper extremities, the vital organs, upper
it's mortal. The heart, the skull or the brain. The majority
of the patients I see in the hosptal its upper chest, upper
Twenty-two year old Jawad Mohamed is lying in a bed next
to 19-year old Shady Mohamed. They both sustained chest wounds
but doctors are confident they'll recover.
Outside the hospital, seven-year old Suad Manasr has just
been discharged. She too was running away from the border
police when she was tripped and landed on her arm, breaking it
in several places. She can afford a smile now but these days
there's not much to smile about in the Middle East.
At least 91 people, all but five of them Palestinians or
Israeli Arabs, have been killed and more than 3,000 wounded in
two weeks of fighting in the West Bank, Gaza and Israel itself.
The violence erupted on September 28 after right-wing
Israeli opposition leader Ariel Sharon visited a site in
Jerusalem that is sacred to Muslims and Jews.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None