- Title: South Africans in London call on President Zuma to quit
- Date: 8th April 2017
- Summary: PROTESTERS SINGING / WOMAN HOLDING PLACARD READING (English): "ZEXIT! SAVE SOUTH AFRICA. ZUMA NOT MY PRESIDENT"
- Embargoed: 22nd April 2017 15:37
- Keywords: President Zuma South Africa London protest high commission
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026BJFOEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of South Africans gathered outside the South African High Commission in London on Saturday (April 8) to protest against President Jacob Zuma, calling for his resignation.
The rally in London ran alongside other protests taking place in major South African cities, as thousands took to the streets demanding Zuma to quit after a cabinet reshuffle triggered the latest crisis of his presidency.
Will van der Merwe, a member of the South Africa's Democratic Alliance (DA) opposition party, handed a petition demanding Zuma's resignation to a representative of South Africa's High Commissioner. He cited the downgrade of the country's credit status by rating agency S&P Global Ratings to "junk" on Monday (April 3) as an example of Zuma's presidency, which he called "reckless".
Ramadimetje Mashigo, a supporter of the ruling African National Congress (ANC), attended the rally and echoed the opposition's calls for the removal of Zuma, but she said the country's political problems stemmed from "back men" who influenced the president.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.