- Title: PERU: U.S. embassy holds solemn ceremony to remember those who died in 9/11
- Date: 12th September 2011
- Summary: VARIOUS OF U.S. MARINES ENTERING AS CHILDREN SING NATIONAL ANTHEM, AND PERFORMING HONOURS AND FLAG CEREMONY CHILDREN SINGING RELIGIOUS SPIRITUAL 'AMAZING GRACE' U.S. RESIDENTS IN PERU LISTENING
- Embargoed: 27th September 2011 13:00
- Location: Peru, Peru
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Crime,History
- Reuters ID: LVA2ZMT2YGXNRW9MMWHIOHIAL7NO
- Story Text: U.S. citizens in Peru gathered at the U.S. embassy to mark the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks that left 3,000 dead, including five Peruvians.
After a few hundred Americans filed in, U.S. Marines performed a flag ceremony as children sang the national anthem.
Monsignor Kevin Randall led the opening prayer which recognized the sorrow that many still fell.
"We open our minds and feel the pain in our hearts, Lord, remembering the dark day of September 11, 2001."
Wearing black from head to toe, U.S. Ambassador to Peru Rose M. Likins marked the end of the mourning period and encouraged all to transform the brutality of that day into a learning experience.
"We have mourned for ten years. We honour the victims by turning ourselves to the future. We have learned from our 9-11 losses as we have learned from other difficult moments in our nation's history," she said.
Among those who attended was Nick Avidevitch who was a child when the attacks occurred.
"Ten years after the fact, it's great to really feel a little better about that, you know," he said.
The ceremony in Lima took place a nearly five-hour-long ceremony took place in New York, where the World Trade Center twin towers stood. There were smaller ceremonies in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and at the Pentagon, the other sites were 19 men from the Islamic militant group al Qaeda crashed hijacked airliners on the sunny Tuesday morning of September 11, 2001.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.