ISRAEL/JORDAN: U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE ALEXANDER HAIG CONTINUES HIS MIDDLE EAST TOUR VISITS TO JERUSALEM AND AMMANRecord ID: 636702
- Title: ISRAEL/JORDAN: U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE ALEXANDER HAIG CONTINUES HIS MIDDLE EAST TOUR VISITS TO JERUSALEM AND AMMAN
- Date: 6th April 1981
- Summary: ***CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** JERUSALEM, ISRAEL Interior: Haig and Begin at conference table with their respective delegates Begin statement in English Haig statement Haig motorcade leaving AMMAN, JORDAN Haig arriving at Amman airport Haig meeting with King Hussein, shaking hands Haig and Hussein seated at conference table with respective delegates
- Reuters ID: LVAEZ44T5FP5SX2N2YLLWWWMJ4H6
- Location: Israel, Jordan
- Country: Israel Jordan
- Duration: 00:02:22
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Story Text: U.S. secretary of state Alexander Haig continue his Middle East tour with visits to Jerusalem and Amman. In Jerusalem he met the Israeli prime minister Menachem Begin. It was one of the friendliest receptions Haig could of expected, he described the talks as highly productive. He also reportedly promised to seek ways to alleviate the financial burden of Israel's defence spending. Mr Haig stressed repeatedly his views that the peace of the region was threatened by Soviet expansionism either by the Soviets themselves or what he called their 'proxies' - the Cubans, Libyans, aspects of the P.L.O. and others.
After leaving Jerusalem Mr Haig flew to the Jordanian capital Amman. He was met by King Hussein, and afterwards the two men had talks. Mr haig has said he is seeking a 'strategic consensus' for countering what he calls the growing Soviet threat to the region. But Jordanian officials have made it clear that what they regard as Israeli expansionism is a greater danger.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:21st April 1981 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None