JORDAN/LEBANON: PALESTINIAN REFUGEES DEMONSTRATE IN SUPPORT OF WEST BANK UPRISING.Record ID: 636787
- Title: JORDAN/LEBANON: PALESTINIAN REFUGEES DEMONSTRATE IN SUPPORT OF WEST BANK UPRISING.
- Date: 2nd October 2000
- Summary: AZMY AL-MUFTY CAMP, IRBID, JORDAN. (OCT 1, 2000) (REUTERS) GV/MV: VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN REFUGEES DEMONSTRATING/ REFUGEES CHANTING/ WAVING PALESTINIAN FLAG/ FIRES BURNING (3 SHOTS) MV: PROTESTERS SHOUTING SLOGANS AGAINST ISRAEL SAYING DEATH FOR ISRAEL, AND AGAINST ARAFAT DESCRIBING HIM AS PART OF THE CONSPIRACY AGAINST THE PALESTINIAN PEOPLE. MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) REFUGEE RAKAN MAHMOUD SAYING "This is ugly massacre against the Palestinian people. We are convinced that Arafat is part of this enemy and unfortunately, he is conspiring with the Israeli enemy against the Palestinian people. AIN EL-HELWA CAMP NEAR SIDON, SOUTHERN LEBANON (OCTOBER 1, 2000) (REUTERS) GV: VARIOUS OF TYRES BURNING IN THE MIDDLE OF ROAD; PEOPLE BURNING FLAGS GV: CROWD OF PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH STREET HOLDING PLACARDS AND PALESTINIAN FLAG GV/MV: CROWDS CHANTING (4 SHOTS) MCU: (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CAMP SPOKESMAN, MOUNIR ELMAKDAH, SAYING: "There is a full alert of our troops and we are watching closely what is happening in our homeland. There is a revolution inside the camps and we are asking the Palestinian leadership to open the southern front in Lebanon to support our people in Palestine. If the massacres continue, we will not stand and do nothing, there will be no stability for this occupation until we establish our country with Jerusalem as its capital and all the Palestinians return to their homeland." GV: WIDE VIEW OF RALLY
- Reuters ID: LVA39OEP25EBLUDCL368RX9NUQXO
- Location: AZMY AL-MUFTY CAMP, IRBID, JORDAN/ AIN EL-HELWA CAMP NEAR SIDON, SOUTHERN LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Duration: 00:02:47
- Topics: General
- Story Text: There have been demonstrations by Palestinians at
refugee camps in Jordan and south Lebanon in support of a
Palestinian uprising against Israeli forces in the occupied
Around three hundred Palestinian refugees from Azmy
al-Mufty camp in the Jordanian town of Irbid, 70 kilometres
(45 miles) from the capital Amman, staged a demonstration on
Sunday (October 1).
They attacked Palestinian President Yasser Arafat and
burned the Israeli flag to protest at the killing of
Palestinians by Israeli soldiers.
The refugees gathered at the Omar Ibn Abdul Aziz mosque
before marching through the camp's dusty streets.
They shouted slogans against Israel and accused Arafat of
being involved in a conspiracy with the Israelis against the
Azmy al-Mufty camp, housing 50,000 refugees, is one of the
many Palestinian camps in Jordan which is home to over 40
percent of the more than 3.5 million Palestinian refugees
registered with the United Nations.
Their makeshift camps on the edges of cities in Jordan and
Lebanon are a living reminder of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
Demonstrations also took place on Sunday in Lebanon where
calls were made for the Palestinian Authority to cease peace
talks with the Jewish state.
Angry crowds burned tyres as well as American and Israeli
flags during protests in camps in the capital Beirut and south
Over the past four days, bloody clashes between
Palestinians and Israeli security forces in Jerusalem, the
West Bank, the Gaza Strip and the Jewish state itself have
resulted in the deaths of at least 28 Palestinians and Arab
Israelis, and 2 Israeli soldiers.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th October 2000 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None