- Title: USA: SIDEWALK ADVERTISING
- Date: 12th February 1998
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, UNITED STATES (RTV) (FEBRUARY 10, 1998) 1. SLV STREET SCENES WITH ADVERTISING ON NEW YORK CITY STREETS AND TAXI CABS AND COACHES (7 SHOTS) 0.22 2. SCU /SLVT LIGHT GENERATED ELEVISION CITY RESTAURANT SIDEWALK ADVERTISEMENT (2 SHOTS) 0.32 3. SCU DAVID LIEDERMAN FROM TELEVISION CITY EXPLAINING THE ADVANTAGE OF SIDEWALK ADVERTISING."WELL I DON'T KNOW IF WE WERE THE FIRST TO USE IT. I KNOW WE USE ABOUT SIX OF THEM ON THE PREMISES HERE. BUT JUST TODAY I GOT A CALL FROM LORD AND TAYLOR WHO WANT TO USE IT ALL ROUND THEIR BUILDING. I THINK THAT IN TERMS OF BANG FOR THE BUCK ITS ONE OF THE BEST WAYS YOU CAN ADVERTISE RIGHT NOW IN NEW YORK CITY." (ENGLISH) 0.48 4. SCU TILT DOWN LIGHT THAT GENERATES ADVERTS/ ADVERTISEMENT ON SIDEWALK 0.58 5. SCU PEOPLE WALKING ON ADVERTISEMENT. 1.03 6. SCU ANDREA MACDONALD, MACDONALD MEDIA, SAYING: "THE BENEFIT OF IT IS THAT IT'S PLACE BASED. I MEAN ITS IN A LOCATION WHERE YOU CAN REACH A CERTAIN AUDIENCE WHO ARE IN A CERTAIN FRAME OF MIND. TO GO BACK TO THE BEER EXAMPLE. IF YOU CAN TARGET A CONSUMER WHEN THEY'RE ON THEIR WAY INTO THE ESTABLISHMENT WHERE THEY CAN ACTUALLY BUY OR PURCHASE THE PRODUCT THEN YOU'RE NARROWING THE WINDOW BETWEEN WHEN YOU GENERATE THE MESSAGE AND THE OPPORTUNITY FOR THEM TO PURCHASE IT. AND TO ME THAT'S ITS GREATEST VALUE." (ENGLISH) 1.27 7. SCU MAN SAYING "I DON'T THINK ITS SUCH A BAD IDEA. ITS A CREATIVE WAY OF ADVERTISING. BECAUSE WE'RE SURFITTED BY BILLBOARDS AND MAGAZINE ADVERTISING SO I THINK WE MIGHT AS WELL GO ON THE SIDEWALKS." (ENGLISH) 1.39 8. SCU WOMAN SAYING "IT'S THE FIRST TIME I NOTICED IT. I'VE GUESS I NEVER SAW IT BEFORE." (ENGLISH) 1.44 9. SCU MAN SAYING "IF ITS TO MAKE MONEY ANYTHING GOES - ITS FREE ENTERPRISE. THAT'S WHAT AMERICA'S ABOUT." (ENGLISH) 1.50 (FEBRUARY 11, 1998) 10. SCU FRANNY EBERHART FROM THE HISTORICAL PRESERVATION SOCIETY SITTING AT HER DESK/CU PAPER ON DESK WITH "HISTORIC DISTRICTS COUNCIL" LOGO /SCU EBERHART SAYING " AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED ITS ELECTRONIC GRAFFITI. ITS APPLYING ART OF ADVERTISING TO STRUCTURES AND BUILDINGS WITHOUT ANY REGULATION AND ITS NOT APPROPRIATE. ITS IN ADDITION TO ALREADY TOO MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF ADVERTISING - YOU KNOW A VISUAL CACOPHONY JUST ALL OVER THE PLACE." (ENGLISH) 2.19 10 FEBRUARY, 1998 NIGHTSHOTS: 11. SLV EXTERIOR HAMMECHER SCHLEMMER WHO PUT THEIR LOGO ON SIDEWALK AT NIGHT PAN RIGHT TO LOGO ON SIDEWALK/SLV PEOPLE WALKING BY LOGO (2 SHOTS) 2.32 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAB0FSBTKUACRFR0CTFWVZOMU6E
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:02:35
- Story Text: As if New Yorkers aren't bombarded with enough advertising, the latest promotion fad in the "Big Apple"is sidewalk advertising.
In Manhattan, advertisers have found a new way to get people, and their wallets, off the street and into the store, putting their message quite literally under the feet of would-be-consumers.
It's old technology in a slick, high tech-package, projecting ads with light beams from inside street-level businesses directly onto sidwalks, forcing pedestrians to step right into the ads.
The advertising industry believes its a great way to grab the shoppers attention at the point of sale.But opponents see the new move as an invasion of public space, using public property for free and blurring the line between city and store.
Manhattan residents are so used to being bombarded by advertising it's hard to find anyone with much of an opinion.So for now, the free publicity will continue to be walked all over.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th February 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None