USA: FORMER U.S HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION MIKE TYSON OFFICIALLY RETURNS HOME HAVING SERVED JAIL TERM FOR RAPE
- Title: USA: FORMER U.S HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION MIKE TYSON OFFICIALLY RETURNS HOME HAVING SERVED JAIL TERM FOR RAPE
- Date: 20th June 1995
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JUNE 20, 1995) (RTV -- ACCESS ALL) 1. SV/GV BOXER MIKE TYSON, WITH BODYGUARDS AND PROMOTER DON KING (WHITE HAIR) WALKING THROUGH CHEERING CROWDS TO GO INTO NEWS CONFERENCE/PEOPLE CHEER AS TYSON WALKS THROUGH (6 SHOTS) 0.45 2. SLV NEWS CONFERENCE/DON KING INTRODUCING MIKE TYSON SAYING THAT HE IS OUR FUTURE (ENGLISH) 1.04 3. ZOOM-IN TYSON SAYS HE IS GLAD TO BE HERE, LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FIGHT AND THANKS PEOPLE FOR BEING HERE (ENGLISH)/GV AUDIENCE (2 SHOTS) 1.54 4. SV TYSON SAYS HE HAS A LOT OF RESPECT FOR MR (PETER) MCNEELEY AND HE IS NOT GOING TO UNDERESTIMATE ANYBODY AS HE HAD DONE THAT BEFORE (ENGLISH) 2.04 5. SV DON KING INTRODUCING PETER MCNEELEY WHO HE IS TO FIGHT 2.13 6. PAN TO MCNEELEY SAYING "THANK-YOU FOR BEING HERE, IT'S HOT AND PARTICULARLY HARD IF YOUR LUGGAGE IS MISSING"(ENGLISH) 2.38 7. GV NEWS CONFERENCE 2.46 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA33YPXSYH7FYFAAOBHAF7CGG8K
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:02:46
- Story Text: Former United States (U.S.) heavyweight champion Mike Tyson officially returned home to York City on Tuesday (June 20) after serving a jail term for rape.
Some New Yorkers said he should be welcomed, but others said he should be condemned.
At a press conference in the city's notorious Harlem district, Tyson was scheduled to appear with Peter McNeeley, whom he will fight in August.
The match will be Tyson's first fight since he was freed from prison earlier this year after serving a sentence for raping a beauty pageant contestant in 1992.
His arrival in the city is bound to cause controversy.
Tyson's supporters said he has served his time and therefore should not be further stigmatised.
But some New Yorkers -- including black women who have staged angry protests -- say that to welcome Tyson is the same as excusing or tolerating rape and other acts of violence.
At a rally being held for Tyson later in the day, the fighter is expected to announce that he has formed a charitable foundation dedicated to helping inner-city social welfare projects.
He is also expected to visit an organization that will receive one of his foundation's first grants.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th July 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None