ITALY: ITALIAN AND FRENCH TROOPS PREPARE TO JOIN MULTINATIONAL MISSION TO ALBANIA.Record ID: 639594
- Title: ITALY: ITALIAN AND FRENCH TROOPS PREPARE TO JOIN MULTINATIONAL MISSION TO ALBANIA.
- Date: 12th April 1997
- Summary: BRINDISI, ITALY (APRIL 12, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) -AUDIO AS INCOMING- 1. GV/MV: ITALIAN SOLDIERS STANDING ON PORT NEXT TO ITALIAN SHIP THE "SAN GUISTO" (3 SHOTS) 0.17 2. GV: SHIP 0.20 3. GV: ARMOURED VEHICLE NEXT TO SHIP 0.24 4. MV/MCU: ITALIAN SOLDIERS CLEANING GUNS (2 SHOTS) 0.42 5. GV: DINGHIES BEING PREPARED AND LAUNCHED IN AN EXERCISE (2 SHOTS) 0.51 5. TV/GV/MV: VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS LEAVING SHIP ON DINGHIES (7 SHOTS) 1.43 6. MCU: COMMANDER OF SAN GIUSTO ERNEST PULLANO SAYING "THE COUNTRIES INVOLOVED IN THIS MISSION LIKE THE FRENCH AND THE SPANISH ARE USED TO WORKING TOGETHER IN OPERATIONS AND THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM WITH COOORDINATION" (ITALIAN) 2.02 7. GV: FRENCH MILITARY CARGO SHIP "CHAMPLAIN" 2.07 8. MV: FRENCH FLAG 2.13 9. GV/PAN: VARIOUS EQUIPMENT ON BOARD 2.23 10. GV: FRENCH SOLDIERS ON QUAY 2.29 11. GV: FRENCH SOLDIERS EXERCISING/ READING ON BOARD (5 SHOTS) 2.55 12. MCU: MAJOR HERVE GOURNILON SAYING "WE ARRIVED YESTERDAY AND WE ARE WAITING ORDERS TO LEAVE WE HAVE ONBOARD RECONNAISSIANCE EXPERTS WHO WILL GO TO DURRES TO SECURE THE POSITIONS FOR THE ARRIVAL OF THE REMAINING FRENCH TROOPS AND THE HEAVY EQUIPMENT FOR DEFENCE AND ATTACK" (FRENCH) 3.27 13. SV: TROOPS BOARDING CHAMPLAIN SHIP 3.37 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA1KOIIS2XLC5KIDQF4WRN80YVV
- Location: BRINDISI, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:03:38
- Story Text: INTRO: Italian and French troops have been preparing to join a multinational mission to Albania in the southern port of Brindisi, southern Italy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- The troops have been arriving in Brindisi for last minute preparations before they head for Albania as part of a 6,000 strong multinational force.
Most of the Italian troops who will spearhead thesecurity mission in Albania will start moving to the small Balkan state from Tuesday.
A small contingent of Italian soldiers is already in Albania, but the main force is set to be deployed over 10 days. Italy has committed about 2,500 troops to the United Nations-sanctioned operation.
The mission, dubbed Operation Alba (sunrise), is the first of its kind to be led by Italy.
An advance party of 20 Italian troops arrived in the Western Albanian port of Durres on Friday and more Italian troops were boarding the San Giusto military ship in Brindisi on Saturday (April 12) morning.
Also in Brindisi port was the French navy auxiliary ship Champlain with a 120 man reconnaissance team on board. The soldiers, mainly scouts from various units, are expected to travel on by sea in advance of the Italians either Saturday evening or early Sunday morning, for a reconnaissance mission around the Albanian port of Durres.
France is providing a 1,000-strong contingent to the force of 6,000.
Troops from Greece, Spain, Turkey and Romania are also in the force, which is being organised by a so-called coalition of willing nations. Austria and Denmark are also considering participation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th April 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None