- Title: RUSSIA: RUSSIA LOOKS EAST AFTER RIFT WITH THE WEST OVER NATO EXPANSION
- Date: 24th March 1997
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (MARCH 24, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV AIR INDIA PLANE TAXIING TO STOP IN FRONT OF GUARD OF HONOUR 0.11 2. SLV FIRST DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER ANATOLY CHUBAIS WALKING TO GREET PLANE 0.16 3. SLV INDIAN PRIME MINISTER DEVE GOWDA WALKING DOWN STEPS 0.30 4. SLV GUARD OF HONOUR 0.41 5. SV CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER QIAN QICHEN WALKING INTO ROOM 0.44 6. SV QICHEN BEING GREETED BY RUSSIAN DEPUTY FOREIGN MINISTER GRIGORY KARASIN 1.05 7. SV CHINESE AND RUSSIAN OFFICIALS WALK OUT OF ROOM 1.10 8. SLV QIAN IN CAR DRIVES AWAY 1.35 Initials s.3 - p.3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA80MEAXA0HB4AN7ZXJX0Y1KEUA
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:01:36
- Story Text: INTRO: Russia, upset by a rift with the West over NATO's enlargement, is looking eastward this week as leaders arrive from China and India.
Indian Prime Minister H.P. Deve Gowda and Chinese Foreign Minister Qian Qichen arrived in Moscow on Monday (March 24).
Deve Gowda was expected to discuss military cooperation while Qian was to prepare for a visit next month by President Ziang Zemin.
Both are expected to meet President Boris Yeltsin and Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin. Qian was also due to hold talks with Foreign Minister Yevgeny Primakov.
The two Asian leaders are visiting Moscow days after Yeltsin's Helsinki summit with U S. President Bill Clinton, at which they "agreed to disagree" over NATO's (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation) plans to invite former Soviet bloc states to join the Western defence alliance.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th April 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None