- Title: USA: SHOWBIZ - Cafe Tacuba dominates Latin Grammy nominations
- Date: 11th September 2008
- Summary: WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 10, 2007) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF HOUSE OF BLUES PRESENTERS ON STAGE SINGER FLEX READING OUT NOMINEES FOR "BEST FEMALE POP ALBUM" SINGER BUIKA READING OUT NOMINEES FOR "SONG OF THE YEAR" GUSTAVO SANTAOLALLA READING OUT NOMINEES FOR "BEST NEW ARTIST" ESAI MORALES READING OUT NOMINEES FOR "ALBUM OF THE YEAR"
- Embargoed: 26th September 2008 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA5GNPXM8ZX5LQ44FB4IANZX40A
- Story Text: Among the nominees for Latin Grammy awards were Juanes, Kany Garcia and Julieta Venegas.
Mexican rock group Cafe Tacuba led the Latin Grammy Award nominations on Wednesday (September 10), picking up six nominations in a list that recognised new talent as well as better-known names. Cafe Tacuba's six nominations include album of the year and best alternative album for "Sino," record of the year and best alternative song for "Volver A Comenzar," and song of the year and best rock song for "Esta Vez." Singer Lila Downs said, "Definitely, Cafe Tacuba is for me a unique band, truly unique."
Puerto Rican singer Kany Garcia earned four nominations, a tie with Julieta Venegas.
"It has been a huge surprise and for me it's the moment when I learn about all things that have happened this year and how nice everything has been and how the support from fans has come about and the support from the academy, especially because with this type of awards you come to find out that you don't only have the support from your fans, but also from other musicians and I truly appreciate all that," said Garcia about her nominations.
Earning five nods each are: Juanes for Album Of The Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Album for La Vidaâ€¦Es Un Ratico, and Record Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best Short Form Music Video for "Me Enamora;" and musician/songwriter/producer Gustavo Santaolalla with two nominations in Record Of The Year (as producer on CafÃ© Tacuba's "Volver A Comenzar"
and Juanes' "Me Enamora"), two nominations in Album Of The Year (as producer on Cafe Tacuba's Sino and Juanes' La Vida...Es Un Ratico), and a nomination in Best Short Form Music Video (Bajofondo's "Pa' Bailar," as a member of the group).
2008 Latin Recording Academy Person of the Year Gloria Estefan, Victor Manuelle, Soraya Moraes, Ximena SariÃ±ana, and Joan Sebastian are among those who earned three nods a piece.
Flex, who earned two nominations couldn't believe it.
"Very happy, it's a dream and I still can't wake up, you know, I thank God for all these, to the people who have supported me, all the Latinos.
I hope God concedes at least one to take to Panama," said Flex.
"In its ninth year, the Latin Grammy nominations continue to reflect a diverse and eclectic worldwide Latin music community of well-respected artists while bringing fresh new acts and trends to the forefront," said Gabriel Abaroa, president of The Latin Recording Academy as the nominations were announced in Los Angeles.
The 9th Latin Grammys will be awarded on November 13 in Houston, Texas, and will be broadcast live on the Spanish-language Univision network.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None