- Title: Clinton calls Trump budget cuts 'grave mistake'
- Date: 31st March 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (MARCH 31, 2017) (REUTERS) FORMER U.S. DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE HILLARY CLINTON COMING TO THE PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER U.S. DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE HILLARY CLINTON SAYING: "We are seeing signals of a shift that should alarm us all. This administration's proposed cuts to international health, development and diplomacy would be a blow to women and children and a grave mistake for our country. Some of you may have seen the recent letter from more than 120 retired generals and admirals to Congress and the administration urging the Congress and the White House not to retreat from these programs which represent our values. These distinguished men and women who served in uniform recognize that turning our back on diplomacy won't make our country safer, it will undermine our security and our standing in the world. Defense Secretary Mattis said it well when he said if you cut funds to the State Department that means he has to buy more ammunition." (WHITE FLASH) (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER U.S. DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE HILLARY CLINTON SAYING: "Studies show - here I go again talking about research, evidence and facts. (APPLAUSE) But in fact, when women are included in peace negotiations agreements are less likely to fail and are more likely to last." (WHITE FLASH) (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER U.S. DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE HILLARY CLINTON SAYING: "Now, before for anybody jumps to any conclusions, I will state clearly women are not inherently more peaceful than men. That is a stereotype that belongs in the alternative reality. (APPLAUSE) (WHITE FLASH) AUDIENCE CLAPPING, ZOOM AND PAN OUT TO SHOW VENUE WITH CLINTON ON STAGE IN THE BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 14th April 2017 16:54
- Keywords: Hillary Clinton Georgetown University speech Washington President Donald Trump government
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016AAKU9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Former U.S. Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton said on Friday (March 31) that the Trump administration's proposed budget cuts to areas like international development and diplomacy are a "grave mistake" and should "alarm us all".
"This administration's proposed cuts to international health, development and diplomacy would be a blow to women and children and a grave mistake for our country," Clinton told an audience at Georgetown University in Washington during an awards ceremony speech about women's role in peace building.
The former presidential nominee who lost to Donald Trump in the November election also poked fun at comments about "alternative facts" that have been made by Trump administration officials.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None