- Title: U.K.: BILLIE JEAN KING ELIMINATES LUCIA BASSI IN TENNIS SINGLES AT WIMBLEDON.
- Date: 26th June 1973
- Summary: 1. SV ZOOM out King serving - ball over net and returned - score 30 love ZOOM back to King serving Bassi quick return - score 40 love. 0.27 2. SV Spectators 0.34 3. LV Bassi serving - King returns - Bassi hits ball out-score love 15 0.42 4. SV Spectators 0.43 5. LV ZOOM OUT Bassi serves King returns to net. 0.48 6. SV Spectators 0.51 7. LV ZOOM OUT Bassi serving for match point King stands aside as ball went out shake hands and walk off - SV scoreboard -two sets to King - nil to Bassi. 1.07 9. SV King and Bassi walk off to applause. 1.18 Initials VS.23.22 BB/VS 23.35 SPORT: TENNIS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th July 1973 13:00
- Access Restrictions:This media cannot be downloaded as there may be copyright restrictions. Please contact us for more information
- Location: WIMBLEDON, LONDON, U.K.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA4TARG10FZA76RUNN9NH19XOAE
- Story Text: The defending champion for the women's singles title at Wimbledon, Billie Jean King, demonstrated that she has lost none of her flair when she ruthlessly eliminated Lucia Bassi of Italy on Tuesday (26th June). Mrs. King, who is seeded number two after Margaret Court of Australia, beat the 36-year-old Italian number two 6-0, 6-2.
Mrs. King, at twenty nine has won the singles title for times - if she wins this year she will better the post-war record set by Luise Brought who won the title four times.
Their match, on the second day of the Wimbledon championships puts Mrs. King through to the third round.
SYNOPSIS: At the Wimbledon championships, London, on Tuesday, the American Billie Jean King - serving - was in good form in her match against the Italian, Lucia Bassi, Mrs. King, who has taken the singles title at Wimbledon four times, will break the post-war record if she wins it again this year. Mrs. King won this first game forty love.
The second set, with Miss Bassi serving. The Italian number two seed, who at thirty six is seven years Miss King's senior, was not able to match her form.
Miss Bassi's powerful serve caught Miss King off-guard only a few times.
Match point - Miss Bassi still serving.
Mrs. King, the defending champion, goes forward to the third round after her win against Miss Bassi. The final score, two sets to Mrs. King - none to Miss Bassi.
The American may not be the darling of the Wimbledon crowds, but they give her credit for a style which again this year looks excellent.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None