- Title: IRAQ: FUNERAL OF ASSASSINATED HEAD OF IRAQ GOVERNING COUNCIL IZZEDDIN SALIM
- Date: 19th May 2004
- Summary: (W3)BASRA , IRAQ (MAY 19,2004) (REUTERS) 1. WIDE OF THE FUNERAL IN BASRA AND THOUSANDS OF IRAQIS PARTICIPATING 0.02 2. VARIOUS OF IRAQI POLICE IN THE FUNERAL WITH GIANT IRAQI FLAG 0.31 3. WIDE OF FUNERAL PROCESSION, AUDIO OF DRUMS BEING BEATEN 0.46 4. CLOSE OF PEOPLE ON BACK OF TRUCK WITH COFFIN/ PEOPLE TOUCHING COFFIN 1.05 5. WIDE OF FUNERAL PROCESSION 1.14 6. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING FROM BALCONY AS PEOPLE IN PROCESSION CARRY FLAGS 1.23 7. VARIOUS OF MOURNERS CARRYING PICTURES OF SALIM AND HAKIM 1.34 8. VARIOUS OF COFFIN BEING PUT IN AMBULANCE 2.13 9. WIDE OF IRAQI POLICE SALUTING AMULANCE WITH COFFIN 2.34 10. SLV BACK VIEW OF AMBULANCE WITH PEOPLE CHANTING AND WAILING 2.51 11. VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF BADR BRIGADE CHANTING AND DANCING BEHIND AMBULANCE 3.12 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 3rd June 2004 13:00
- Location: BASRA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA2BEKE83WRQ8NJESZE3YUUER2A
- Story Text: Thousands of Iraqis participated in the funeral
procession of the assasinated head of Iraqi Governing
Council Izzeddin Salim.
Thousands of Basra residents on Wednesday (May 19, 2004)
mourned the death of Izzedin Salim, who was killed in a
suicide car attack at the entrance to main coalition
headquarters in Baghdad on Monday.
The bodies of Salim and eight off his bodyguards and
relatives who were killed in the attack had been flown from
Baghdad to the southern city of Basra on Tuesday by a
The coffins draped in Iraqi flags were carried by
ambulances as the Badr Brigade, militia of the Supreme
Council of Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI) marched in
the funeral procession wearing military uniform and
carrying pictures of Salim and Shi'ite Muslim cleric
Muhammed Baqir al-Hakim, who was killed in a suicide car
attack last August.
Iraqi police and representatives of political parties
also took part in the funeral. The funeral ended at the
building of the governor in the city of Basra. The bodies
were scheduled to be taken to the holy city of Najaf for
A group headed by al Qaeda figure Abu Musab al-Zarqawi
has claimed responsibility for the attack that killed Salim.
The statement by the group called Jama'at al-Tawhid and
Jihad, posted on an Islamist Web site on Wednesday and
dated May 17, said Saudi-national Abu Salama al-Hegazy
carried out the attack.
It was not immediately possible to verify the
authenticity of the Arabic-language statement published on
Salim, who was the holder of the rotating Governing
Council presidency, was the second of the 25-member Council
to be killed. In September gunmen assassinated Aqila
al-Hashemi, one of three women on the council.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None