- Title: GERMANY: ANIMALS AND PEOPLE SEEK WAYS TO COOL OFF ON HOTTEST DAY OF THE YEAR
- Date: 22nd June 2000
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JUNE 20, 2000)(REUTERS) 1. LAS PALM TREE IN SUN PAN LEFT STREET CENE; SLV PEOPLE COOLING OFF AT FOUNTAIN BY MEMORIAL CHURCH IN CITY CENTRE; SCU SHOES ON GROUND BY FOUNTAIN TILT UP PEOPLE RELAXING BY FOUNTAIN; MV PEOPLE IN FOUNTAIN (5 SHOTS) 0.38 2. SCU SUN TAN LOTION BOTTLE; BERLIN ZOO KEEPER PICKS UP CREAM AND OPENS CAGE DOOR; SCU KEEPER PUTS SUN CREAM ON TAPIR; WOMAN WATCHES; KEEPER PATS TAPIR WHEN FINISHING (5 SHOTS) 1.17 3. SOUNDBITE (German) ZOO KEEPER HORST WIELAND SAYING "Tapirs need sun cream just like any other fair-skinned animals." 1.41 4. SCU FACE OF TAPIR 'INVESTIGATING' CAMERA WITH SNOUT (GOOD SHOT) 1.48 5. LAS TILT DOWN ZOO ENCLOSURE; CU BABY ELEPHANT RECEIVING A SHOWER ZOOM OUT; SLV CHILDREN WATCHING; SCU ELEPHANT TAKING SHOWER AND DRINKING THE WATER (3 SHOTS) 2.20 6. SLV QUEUE OF TRAFFIC AT BRANDENBURG GATE; SCU FUMES COMING OUT OF THE EXHAUST PIPE OF A CAR; SCU DRIVERS IN THEIR CARS (4 SHOTS) 2.41 7. SCU UMBRELLAS HELD BY PEOPLE TAKING A BOAT RIDE ON SPREE RIVER; BOATS ON RIVER; PEOPLE SITTING BY RIVER (5 SHOTS) 3.04 8. SLV INTERIOR OF SPREEQUELL MINERAL WATER BOTTLING PLANT; SCU PRODUCTION LINE (5 SHOTS) 3.34 9. SOUNDBITE (German) HEAD OF MARKETING, SPREEQUELL MINERAL WATER COMPANY SAYING: " We must ensure that we do not run out of water. In the summer we work in three shifts around the clock. We sell three times as much water in the summer as in other seasons." 3.50 10. SCU MORE BOTTLES OF SPREEQUELL ON PRODUCTION LINE 3.55 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 7th July 2000 13:00
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVAE398DFU3FA4MRH4E6B323JQ1A
- Story Text: Animals and people alike sought ways to cool off on
the hottest day of the year in Berlin.
Temperatures soared to 35 degrees Celsius in Berlin on
Tuesday (June 20) as people searched for ways to cool down in
the surprisingly tropical climate.
Whereas some went on boat rides through the centre of
Berlin, others found refuge in fountains scattered throughout
Animals at the Berlin zoo were not to be forgotten in
the battle against rising temperatures.
Some animals, like the tapirs at the zoo, received sun
cream to protect their sensitive skin form the blistering
As zoo keeper Horst Weiland said, "Tapirs need sun cream
just like any other fair-skinned animals."
It was not only the tapirs that enjoyed a little bit of
special treatment. Like many others in Berlin on Tuesday,
this baby elephant at the zoo found refreshment in a cooling
Meanwhile the Spreequell mineral water company in Berlin
has been working twenty four hours per day to quench the
thirst of dehydrated locals.
" We must ensure that we do not run out of water. In the
summer we work in three shifts around the clock.
Judging by Tuesday's heat it is no wonder that the water
company sells three times as much water in the summer as
opposed to other seasons.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None