- Title: ITALY: SALES ROCKET OF LATEST BOOK BY AILING POPE JOHN PAUL
- Date: 26th February 2005
- Summary: (BN10) ROME, ITALY (FEBRUARY 26, 2005) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. WIDE OF BUS DRIVING DOWN A STREET IN FRONT OF BOOKSHOP 0.06 2. SLV VIEW OF A BOOKSHOP 0.12 3. WIDE OF INSIDE BOOKSHOP 0.20 4. SLV/ CLOSE OF PILE OF POPE JOHN PAUL'S BOOK ON SALE 0.27 5. WIDE OF CUSTOMER PAYING AT CASH REGISTER 0.33 6. WIDE OF MAN LOOKING AT BOOKS 0.37 7. CLOSE OF PERSON LEAFING THROUGH A COPY OF POPES BOOK 0.46 8. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) VALERIA RICCI, SALES MANAGER OF BOOKSHOP, SAYING: "The Pope's book came out two days ago and we've practically finished the copies compared to his previous book. We have doubled if not tripled the sales. We're not sure if the increase in sales is related to the Pope being ill but we have thought it could be a reason. In the first four days of sales of the previous book, sales were half compared to his latest book. The book is selling very well, were waiting for more copies which we hope will arrive next Monday." 1.29 9. CLOSE OF DETAIL OF BOOK COVER 1.31 10. SLV PEOPLE WALKING DOWN THE STREET OUTSIDE THE BOOKSHOP 1.44 11. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) FABRIZIO, SAYING: "I hope this book won't be his final work. But, naturally, we have to wait and hope." 1.54 12. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) GIOVANNI, SAYING: "He is a very popular figure and I think that whatever his current situation may be, his position always arouses a lot of interest." 2.10 13. SLV MAN AND BOY WALKING BY BOOKSHOP 2.15 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 13th March 2005 12:00
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVAC6N2SVM0W6DP3FLBFOP7JXXWY
- Story Text: Sales of Pope John Paul's new book have rocketed
since he was rushed to hospital for throat surgery.
Italian publisher RCS MediaGroup said on Friday
(February 25) sales of Pope John Paul's new book 'Memory
and Identity' have soared since he was taken to hospital.
The publisher estimated more than 50,000 copies had
been sold in the past two days in Italy, where it
distributed 330,000. And it was ready to reprint the book.
The book has already sold out in many shops --
including the bookshop at Rome's Gemelli Hospital, where
the frail Pope is recovering after a tracheotomy to open
his windpipe and help him breathe.
In another bookshop in downtown Rome, a spokesperson
said they had almost run out of copies after unexpectedly
"The Pope's book came out two days ago and we've
practically finished the copies compared to his previous
book. We have doubled if not tripled the sales. We're not
sure if the increase in sales is related to the Pope being
ill but we have thought it could be a reason," said
bookshop Sales Manager Valeria Ricci.
In 'Memory and Identity', the Pope says homosexual
marriages are part of a new ideology of evil that is
threatening society, and calls abortion legal extermination.
He also reveals he is convinced gunman Mehmet Ali Agca
did not act alone in the assassination attempt and suggests
the former Communist Bloc may have been behind the plot to
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None