- Title: IRAQ: CLASHES IN SADR CITY IN BAGHDAD
- Date: 16th August 2004
- Summary: (W5) SADR CITY, BAGHDAD, IRAQ (AUGUST 16, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS OF TANK BURNING 0.16 2. SLV PEOPLE RUNNING AROUND / MEN WITH GUNS ON STREET CORNER (AUDIO OF FIRING) 0.29 3. WIDE OF TANK BURNING (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) 0.40 4. SLV PEOPLE CELEBRATING CHANTING SLOGANS 0.49 (W6) SADR CITY, BAGHDAD, IRAQ (AUGUST 16, 2004) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 5. VARIOUS OF MEN RUNNING ALONG PAVEMENT, ACROSS ROAD/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE AND EXPLOSIONS 1.25 5. WIDE OF MEN TAKING COVER BEHIND WALL (AUDIO OF FIRING) / PULLOUT TO PAN OF ROAD 1.53 6. SLV MEN WITH GUNS WALKING ACROSS ROAD 2.04 7. WIDE OF MEN RUNNING TOWARDS AMBULANCE WHICH HAS RED CRESCENT FLAG / MEN WHEELING STRETCHERS TOWARDS AMBULANCE 2.18 8. VARIOUS OF WOUNDED PERSON BEING TAKEN ON STRETCHER OUT OF AMBULANCE 2.27 9. SLV MAN HELPING WOUNDED MAN OUT OF CAR /ANOTHER WOUNDED MAN WITH CHILD, GETTING OUT OF CAR/ CAR DRIVING AWAY 2.40 10. VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CAR/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE 2.51 11. MEN RUNNING IN STREET/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE/ MEN CHANTING 2.59 12. SLV SMOKE RISING IN STREET / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE 3.06 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 31st August 2004 13:00
- Location: SADR CITY, BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA66YGQ0WPAYNKM27664PHPW8HA
- Story Text: Fierce clashes in Sadr City after militia explode a
bomb under a U.S. tank.
Gunfire and explosions echoed through the streets
of Sadr City on Monday (August 16) as clashes raged in
Baghdad's mainly Shi'ite suburb after militiamen exploded a
bomb setting a U.S. tank on fire.
A spokesman for the U.S. 1st Cavalry Division said the
crew escaped from the tank with minor wounds.
U.S. forces had sealed Sadr City, a slum of two million
people on the edge of the capital, earlier on Monday after
days of skirmishes that coincided with a radical Shi'ite
uprising in at least eight cities in central and southern
Witnesses said Mehdi Army militiamen loyal to firebrand
cleric Moqtada al-Sadr hit the tank with a rocket-propelled
grenade (RPG) and set it ablaze.
However, the U.S. spokesman said a roadside bomb
disabled the vehicle, which was then set ablaze. He said
that the crew got away safely with very minor injuries,
adding it was unclear how many soldiers were inside.
A U.S. helicopter gunship later strafed the street
where the tank was hit. Militiamen fired more RPGs and
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None