- Title: ARGENTINA: DEMONSTRATORS DEMAND RELEASE OF "POLITICAL PRISONERS".
- Date: 28th October 1984
- Summary: ARGENTINA: BUENOS AIRES GVs Marcher led by "Mother of the Plaza de Mayo", arriving with banners in square. (3 SHOTS) 0.23 GV & SV NIGHT SCENES Protestors signing and chanting. (2 SHOTS) 0.35 GVs March in progress. (6 SHOTS) 1.07 GVs Peronist Party banner and MAS (Socialist) banner. (2 SHOTS) 1.20 SVs Marchers brandishing fists and chanting slogans past police cordon. (3 SHOTS) 1.31
- Embargoed: 12th November 1984 12:00
- Location: Argentina, Argentina
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: General,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA1GYYVAG2ZCHKF9G306SWEWX0E
- Story Text: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
Several thousand demonstrators marched through the streets of Buenos Aires on October 26 to demand the release of 13 prisoners described by human rights groups as the last political prisoners left in jail after the return to democracy last year. The protest, which lasted until late in the night, was led by the so-called "Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo", who have long been campaigning for the information on the whereabouts of people, who disappeared under former military governments in Argentina. The opposition Peronist Party was represented at the protest. President Raul Alfonsin's Socialist government has refused to released the 13 prisoners, saying they have committed violent crimes. The 13 have been on a hunger strike since September. President Alfonsin, whose election to power last December ended eight years of military rule, has initiated moves to strengthen human rights in the country. Courts have been given new powers, enabling them to imprison for life public officials or public citizens who torture prisoners. Officials who know the prisoner is being tortures and fail to report it within 24 hours face a similar sentence. A state commission on missing persons recently ended a nine-month investigation, including that thousands of people were tortured under military rule from 1976 to 1983.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - HECTOR LOPEZ</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None