- Title: Barca need to be at best to overcome "world class" Real - Enrique
- Date: 2nd December 2016
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (DECEMBER 2, 2016) (REUTERS) BARCELONA PLAYERS AT TRAINING SESSION VARIOUS OF FORWARDS NEYMAR, LUIS SUAREZ AND LIONEL MESSI ARRIVING AT TRAINING SESSION MIDFIELDER ANDRES INIESTA WARMING UP MIDFIELDER ARDA TURAN SPEAKING WITH NEYMAR SUAREZ AND NEYMAR SPEAKING
- Embargoed: 17th December 2016 17:47
- Keywords: Soccer Barca Real Clasico Luis Enrique
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Reuters ID: LVA0015B6WW1R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Barcelona have to play at their best if they want to overcome Real Madrid in Saturday´s Clasico, Luis Enrique said on Friday (December 2).
The coach said his side will be boosted by their crowd as the Catalans face their arch-rival Real in the much-anticipated league show.
"The individual quality they have is out of question. They have world class, top, players. It is a special match for us because we face our arch-rivals in the Camp Nou. That is an incentive to play a good match because we are going to need that level to overcome a rival of such quality," he said in a news conference previewing the match.
Luis Enrique holds the longest unbeaten run in Spanish history, set earlier this year when Barcelona went 39 games without defeat.
But the coach has faced plenty of questioning despite amassing silverware with Barca.
The Catalans have won nine out of 11 competitions entered under his guidance, but a lot of the credit for those triumphs has not gone to the coach but to the front three of Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez who scored 131 goals last season and 122 in their first campaign together.
As the magic of the trio has faded this season, with Barca registering their worst points total at the same stage of the season since 2004, there has been a clamour in the Catalan media for a change in the team's style of play in order to exert greater control in midfield.
The threat of Real marching nine points clear at the top of La Liga could raise questions on how Luis Enrique is managing the squad this season.
Barca have drawn three of their last four games in all competitions, failing to beat Malaga and Real Sociedad in their last league outings.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None