- Title: Storm descends on Russia's Sochi city
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: SOCHI, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TORNADO IN SKY OVER CITY TREES BENDING IN WIND VARIOUS OF CLOUDS ABOVE CITY CARS ON BRIDGE, FACTORY SEEN IN DISTANCE TREES AND HOUSES IN STORM LEAVES OF PALM TREES SWINGING IN THE WIND SOCHI, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) ROAD NEAR SEA BEING MENDED WAVES AT SEA VARIOUS OF WORKERS FIXING ROAD AND REMOVING FALLEN PALM TREES WORKERS LOADING RUBBLE ON TRUCK DAMAGED YARD VARIOUS VIEWS OF OLYMPIC INFRASTRUCTURE WITH CLOUDS FLOATING IN SKY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AT SEA SIDE WITH METAL DETECTORS SEASIDE, OLYMPIC STADIUM IN DISTANCE
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 12:18
- Keywords: Russia Sochi sea storm hurricane
- Location: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Reuters ID: LVA0025BGWGNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE IN SHOT 1
An intense storm descended upon Russia's Olympic city of Sochi on Saturday (December 3) flooding yards of seaside hotels and uprooting palm trees.
Amateur cameras caught massive waves rolling over piers and highway fences sending fountains of foam in the air.
A small tornado could also be seen whirling above the city.
Russian media said the speed of the wind exceeded 30 metres per second, roofs of several residential buildings got damaged and electricity lines were damaged.
More than 500 emergency workers are involved in removing the results of the raging nature, media said.
The storm also caused delays in the work of the local airport.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None