- Title: St. Nicholas delights Bavarian children on Christmas steam train
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: MUNICH, GERMANY (DECEMBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAN IN ST. NICHOLAS COSTUME WALKING NEXT TO TRAIN STEAM FROM TRAIN MAN ON TRAIN CHILDREN GETTING INTO TRAIN CARRIAGE CHILD WATCHING COAL BURN VARIOUS OF COAL BURNING CHILD WATCHING MAN IN ST. NICHOLAS COSTUME LETTING IN MAN IN KRAMPUS COSTUME VARIOUS OF ST. NICHOLAS AND KRAMPUS GIVING AWAY GIFTS VARIOUS OF CHILD OPENING AND EATING FROM BAG OF CHOCOLATES ST. NICHOLAS / FAMILY SITTING IN CARRIAGE KRAMPUS GIVING A BABY CHOCOLATE VARIOUS OF MOTHER AND SON HOLDING BAG OF CHOCOLATES (SOUNDBITE) (German) PARENT, PETER LOEFFLER, SAYING: "It was totally great, a total surprise. Something like that happens seldomly no? In a train with Nicholas." (SOUNDBITE) (English) PARENT, KARIN ENGEL, SAYING: "My son loves trains, and he'd never met Nicholas before, so he's definitely enjoying it. It's a wonderful experience." (SOUNDBITE) (German) PARENT, MARC CARPENTER, SAYING: "It is definitely totally super and we are here for the second time. The first time we were a bit inexperienced as Nicholas came, but we really liked the steam engine and we were in the front with the train conductor and looked into the fire - that was awesome! Elias, was it good? (CHILD ANSWERING: "YES!") You see?" (SOUNDBITE) (German) PARENT, KATHARINA MAURER, SAYING: "We are doing this today for the first time and we are very excited. Our little man here loves railways and that's why we wanted to try this once - it was really wonderful. Nicholas was there, he got chocolate and everybody is very happy. (HUSBAND COMMENTS: "There is not much of the chocolate left") Exactly, the chocolate has already been eaten up." VARIOUS OF ST. NICHOLAS IN TRAIN LITTLE BOY LAUGHING ST. NICHOLAS AND KRAMPUS GIVING THE BOY CHOCOLATE
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 10:36
- Keywords: steam train Munich Bavaria traditional St. Nicholas
- Location: MUNICH, GERMANY
- City: MUNICH, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA0015BGUCT5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Children in the Bavarian capital of Munich were treated to a special train ride on Saturday (December 3), climbing aboard an old-fashioned steam train where they were greeted by St. Nicholas.
Dressed in a long red and gold bishop's robe with a flowing beard and a long white staff, he brought the children little presents, as is traditional in the first week of December in Germany. A Santa-like figure, St. Nicholas is distinct in German tradition from Father Christmas, who visits on December 24.
Pulled by a vintage steam locomotive built in 1920, the Christmas train puffed its way around Munich in bright sunshine for an hour-long tour.
Along the way, St. Nicholas made his way through the carriages distributing chocolates to the children.
"It was totally great, a total surprise. Something like that is seldom no? In a train with Nicholas," parent Peter Loeffler said.
Krampus, the dark Bavarian folklore figure who punishes children who misbehave, was also in tow.
No child admitted to doing anything wrong this year, so Krampus had his work cut out for him and helped St. Nicholas hand out chocolates instead.
Even though the journey took them back in time, the children received their presents early - tradition dictates that St. Nicholas visits overnight between December 5 and December 6 to place sweets and small gifts in shoes children leave outside their doors.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None