- Title: Futuristic gothic fashion hits Jordan runway
- Date: 4th December 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MODELS WEARING OUTFITS BY JORDANIAN DESIGNER NAFSIKA SKOURTI, WALKING DOWN THE RUNWAY SKOURTI WALKING DOWN THE RUNWAY WITH MODELS
- Embargoed: 19th December 2016 11:24
- Keywords: Jordan Fashion Arab designers
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- City: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Reuters ID: LVA0055BGWRPX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Black netted skirts, lace dresses and even stag heads: Fashion lovers were treated to a taste of the future as models hit the runway in far-out gothic creations by six Jordanian designers.
The show in Amman on Thursday (December 1), called '2047: Gothic Love', wasn't just a chance for up-and-coming designers showcase their work; they were also competing for a chance to attend New York Fashion Week.
Each designer sent a five-piece capsule collection down the runway.
Designer Dania Dahleh said this was the biggest fashion show to take place in the country.
"This event taking place in Jordan is very important to us, it is the first time a fashion show held at international standards is taking place. As a Jordanian designers wanted to make sure that I took part in it," she said.
The designers incorporated unconventional materials into their creations, like laser-cut materials and plexiglass. One piece even featured three-dimensional stag heads shoulder pieces.
Designer Laith Maalouf, who has been in the industry for four years, said he finds inspiration in all his surroundings.
"Everything in the world (inspires me). Nature, negatives, positives, beautiful things, sometimes bad things can be inspiring as well, not just beautiful things. Even war, you can use anything to inspire you to create something more beautiful," he said.
The designers are competing for the greatest number of likes on their respective Instagram and Facebook pages, with the winner set to attend New York Fashion Week.
Lebanese designer Abed Mahfouz, who was on the judging panel, said he felt all of the designers were "number one".
"There is great talent among the Jordanians, the young men and women have created beautiful things. I want to wish them good luck, they are all great," he said.
The winner of the competition will be announced in mid-December.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.